PDA

View Full Version : I've narrowed it down --I think! Please help!

PleaseAdvise
06-12-2007, 07:56 AM
Can someone recommend a very decent yet affordable digital camera?
I'm by no means a professional photographer --I know very little about the technical aspects of photography --but I know enough to be disgusted with the pictures the lower-end digital cameras get. I'm also hoping to learn more, so I'd like a camera that is user-friendly, yet allows for manual control, and one that can accomodate advanced usage as I learn. The size and weight of the camera aren't so important --quality is. A primary use for the camera will be to photograph kids, so a continuous shooting mode, action shot and portait functions are all important. A good video mode is also a plus. I need a camera that can handle shots from various angles and from up close without distortion . I want a camera that can take pictures that look professional and can handle all different types of light and color --I really don't want to have to Photoshop each of my pictures. While the optical zoom is appealing, I guess I don't really need more than the standard --although it definitely won't hurt as I don't want to have to use the digital zoom. I understand that I really don't need more than 6 megapixel. Again, image quality is very important.

I'm looking to spend in the neighborhood of $300.

The Canon A640, Canon 710 IS, Canon Powershot S3 IS and the Fuji FinePix were all recommended. Thoughts?

speaklightly
06-12-2007, 09:59 AM
Certainly, the Canon A-710IS has a legion of enthusiastic users and it has received some great reviews as well. The only other potential family camera in the family category might be the newly introduced Fuji S-700/S-5700. It has a bit more zoom, does wonderful macros, has an excellent video mode, but no IS, it is capable of excellent photos up to ISO 800, so camera movement might not be a problem, being that the shutter speed, can be proportionally increased, as the ISO is increased.

Jeff has a Fuji S-700 review in the pipline and it is scheduled to be posted toward the end of this month.

Sarah

toriaj
06-12-2007, 10:59 AM
Don't rule out the S3 IS -- it's a great camera. Just go to the store and play with all these cameras, and see which one feels best to you. You can't go wrong.

PleaseAdvise
06-12-2007, 11:54 AM
I should clarify that I'm currently studying abroad and will be buying the camera online --to take advantage of the substantially cheaper American prices, then having a friend bring it to me. I know, I know, I'm doing it all wrong. But it's either the all online option, or waiting till I go home, which won't be for a while. So I'm a bit desperate for help here.

speaklightly
06-12-2007, 07:27 PM
I received my Fuji S-700 today. I purchased it from www.buy.com for $197.00 using a coupon. I am amazed at how very capable a camera it really is.

The S-700 has 7mp, a full 10X optical zoom, uses SD Chips (Yes, I said SD Chips! This is a first for Fuji!), it has Intelligent Flash, great Macro and Super Macro modes, excellent video, wonderful sharpness, and it is SMALL, smaller than the Canon S-3. All in all it is a very impressive camera.

I am posting a photo attachment with this post. If you want to see more photos from the S-700, please go to the Fuji Folder where we have started a Photo Gallery just like the Fuji S-6000 folks have done. jeff Keller will have the first professional review of the Fuji S-700 out, per his schedule, at the end of this month (June).

Sarah