PDA

View Full Version : Really cheap camera for Australian student

bwgoudey
06-11-2007, 07:23 PM
I'm an Australian uni student looking for a camera on a fairly tight budget. Obviously searching for a camera that is cheap isn't going to land me the best camera in the world but that doesn't matter too much. If you're not Australian and are curious as to how much the camera is worth in Australia, you can check it at shopbot.com.au (www.shopbot.com.au). I know almost nothing about photography, so if you think I should be more concerned about other features, feel free to let me know.

Requirements:
Budget
<$250 AUD

Size
Size isn't really an issue but smaller the better

Features
I'm happy with 4MP upwards and Standard Optical zoom. Image quality is probably a 7/10 on the importance scale, I guess. And I don't care about manual controls.

The ability to record Hig-res (640x480) movies is also fairly important. I'd also like the camera to be quite fast between shots.

General Usage
I'll be using it with my friends when I go out, mainly at night, so probably the camera is most likely to get used in low light settings and indoors

Are there particular models you already have in mind?
I've looked at the Canon A540 which looked really good but the limit on movie sizes and time between shots when the flash was on concerned me. The Nikon Coolpix L11 also looked good but again, there was a long time between shots.

If I could just find something cheap with reasonable quality photos, unlimited high-res video and a fast time between shots, I'd be set. I don't think I need too many other features. But then I'm probably asking too much already :)

ayhcheung
06-11-2007, 08:11 PM
If it's a low-light compact camera you're after, you should probably take a look at the Fujifilm Finepix F20 (which is just within your budget). Similar models with Fuji's SuperCCD sensor include the F30/31fd and the Z3/5 (the Z-series is smaller and has fewer control options).

I can't vouch for the F20 from personal experience, but I've tried a friend's Z3 in a darkened restaurant, and it worked just fine without flash.

Edit: The F20's successor, the F40 (http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/fuji/finepix_f40fd-review/index.shtml), might also be worth looking at if you can get hold of one - as an added benefit it takes SD cards rather than Fuji's own (proprietary) XD cards.

bwgoudey
06-13-2007, 04:57 AM
The F20 looks really good but the fact that it uses xd memory rather than SD is a bit of a let down. And the f40 fixes this but at more than $150 more, I can't really afford it :( Oh well...

speaklightly
06-13-2007, 06:50 AM
bw-

The new Fuji S-5700/S-700 does use SD cards and it is selling here in the USA for around $(US) 200.00. It won't fit in your jeans pocket, it will take to a jacket pocket rather nicely. It has 7mp, 10X optical zoom, Macro and Super Macro Modes, a nice video mode, and it is an easy to use, all around camera. You might want to take a look at it.

Sarah