PDA

View Full Version : Narrowed it down to 2 DSLRs

See_Jane_Run
06-11-2007, 04:32 PM
I know there's the questionaire you're suppose to copy & paste for this section of the forum, but I've narrowed it down to two cameras.
And I apologize in advance, because I realize that what it basically comes down to is Nikon or Canon, & that debate will never die, it's all a matter of preference. Both cameras are great.
So, I'm doing this thread w/ Pros & Cons of each, and hopefully someone might offer me more insight to something I may have overlooked.

Canon 30D
Pros
-Excels with high ISO & low noise images
-5 frames per second
-Will have accessories at reach, since most stores carry mostly Canon supplies.
Cons
-A little more costly (are lens generally costly too?)

Nikon D80
Pros
-Uses SD memory cards (good for me since I already have a couple)
-I think $100 less than the Canon
-Seems to be what everone recomends, I've seen great pictures taken with it.
Cons
- 3 frames per second, compared to the 5 that canon has
- accessories/and/or/lens may be harder to come by

I know there's a million more important things to compare, but I kinda went off of what is important to me.
I went to the store & held both in my hands, both felt equal. I played around w/ the menus & tried adjusting manual controls, both were equally confusing to me.:o
I think I read somewhere that the Nikon has a better viewfinder, and I feel stupid because I'm not sure what that means.
Maybe I'm too premature for all of this, but hopefully someone can guide me to making the right decision.

Rooz
06-11-2007, 05:37 PM
accessories and lens etc are a non-issue with these 2 brands. i wouldn;t consider that at all in your decision. they are widely available just about everywhere. the 30d lens will not cost more than the nikon, the pricing is very similar in comparable lens' so thats also not an issue.

the 30d has a magnesium construction instead of the d80's plastic. the d80 can act as a wirelss commander for nikons wireless flash system and has an AF assist lamp built in.

aparmley has just traded his 30D for the D80. perhaps he is the best to comment on them both. some of the discussion can be found here. http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30545

one thing is for sure you can't go wrong with either. good luck. :)

See_Jane_Run
06-11-2007, 05:52 PM
okay, great, thanks for that link!!

See_Jane_Run
06-11-2007, 06:26 PM
another quick question, what battery does the d80 take?

fionndruinne
06-11-2007, 06:33 PM
As to battery, I think that can be found pretty easily in Jeff's review.

One thing, I have found AF assist lamps to be vastly preferable to using the flash for autofocusing, both because the flash can remain down (I think in P mode or similar, to get a no-flash shot after focusing with the flash, you have to manually lower it - could be wrong), and more importantly for me, the AF assist is a much softer, more neutral light, roughly like a flashlight, and doesn't draw people's attention nearly as much in low light. That white strobe says "camera!" rather vigorously. May or may not be a concern to you.

toriaj
06-11-2007, 07:32 PM
The viewfinder is the little hole you look through to see what you're taking a picture of. Most DSLRs do not allow you to frame the shot on the LCD. You have to hold the camera up to your face. Don't worry about stupid questions, the "easy" ones are the ones I can answer! :D

See_Jane_Run
06-11-2007, 07:51 PM
The viewfinder is the little hole you look through to see what you're taking a picture of. Most DSLRs do not allow you to frame the shot on the LCD. You have to hold the camera up to your face. Don't worry about stupid questions, the "easy" ones are the ones I can answer! :D

ohhhhhhhhh, hahahahaha. k. Thank you!

Turn
06-11-2007, 08:12 PM
I think the D80 would be fine enough unless you absolutely need what extras the 30D has.