PDA

View Full Version : P&S Compact Camera.. Good movie

xyzzy
06-11-2007, 09:43 AM
I am looking for a good ultra compact or compact P&S camera. Its going to be used to take picture of my kids. Nothing special. Vacations and stuff like that.

I've had a Canon Powershot and got the lens error. I replaced it with a Nikon that got dropped and that was the end of that.

The one thing I liked about the Nikon over the Canon was that why shooting a movie I was able to adjust the zoom on the Nikon.

So all things being equal I'd actually take slightly less quality pictures if the Digital Movie part of the camera was signifiganly superior.

I know if I want to shoot movies get a Camcorder, but we aren't going to carry something that size around. My kids are very young I have enough crap to carry around already. If it doesn't fit in my pocket its not getting brought along :)

===========================

Budget: $300 or less.

Size: Compact or Ultra Compact.. I want it to fit in my pocket.

Features:

Pixes: 5m or more.

Zoom: Standard.

Image quality: 8 to 10

Don't really care about manual controls.

General Usage:

Taking pictures of my kids. Vacations.

Not really making big prints 10 x 8 would be the biggest but very Rarely

Indoor photos for holidays, so yes thats important!

Not a lot of actions shots.

Misc:

Nothing really except interested in using it as a video camera also and I don't really see much reviews of the video part of the camera.

David Metsky
06-11-2007, 01:31 PM
Not many cameras allow you to zoom while shooting video. In most compact cameras the noise of the zoom motor would be picked up by the microphone because they are so close together, so they disable zoom while filming. The larger ultra-zooms like the Sony H-series and the Canon S3/S5 allow it, but they are too big for your requirements.

If you drop that requirement, look at the Canon A570 or the Fuji F30. The Fuji will have better low light performance, the Canon better overall image quality and a better zoom plus IS.

xyzzy
06-11-2007, 01:37 PM
By looking at some more reviews I believe the Nikon had a digital zoom during video mode and that my older Canon did not have that option.