PDA

View Full Version : What features are most important?

airjazz
06-10-2007, 08:35 PM
I've had experience with numerous point and shoot digital cameras. After looking on here I noticed other features that seemed to be important for just the everyday buyer. I just graduated high school and going off to college. $400 is pretty much the price max.

I'm almost set on the Kodak EasyShare V610. It has the dual lens and 10x optical zoom. It also looks pretty nice. Before I make it final I just wanted to see what everyone else says. Not just about the V610 but important features of other ones like: Whats better? sacrificing megapixels for zoom? low light abilities etc.

I noticed that with zoom comes lack of megapixels in most cases. This is my most difficult conflict. I want to get up close but i dont want to lack clarity. The V610 has 6.1 megapixels which i believe is quite decent. But I dont know if even enlarged pictures on my screen will get pixelated.

What I want to do with it:

General photos(holidays, parties, snapshots)
Outdoor and distant events

Thanks

David Metsky
06-10-2007, 08:40 PM
It depends on what you want to do with the camera. There's no single answer.

John_Reed
06-10-2007, 11:05 PM
I've had experience with numerous point and shoot digital cameras. After looking on here I noticed other features that seemed to be important for just the everyday buyer. I just graduated high school and going off to college. $400 is pretty much the price max.

I'm almost set on the Kodak EasyShare V610. It has the dual lens and 10x optical zoom. It also looks pretty nice. Before I make it final I just wanted to see what everyone else says. Not just about the V610 but important features of other ones like: Whats better? sacrificing megapixels for zoom? low light abilities etc.

I noticed that with zoom comes lack of megapixels in most cases. This is my most difficult conflict. I want to get up close but i dont want to lack clarity. The V610 has 6.1 megapixels which i believe is quite decent. But I dont know if even enlarged pictures on my screen will get pixelated.

What I want to do with it:

General photos(holidays, parties, snapshots)
Outdoor and distant events

ThanksThe V610, that is. It has a 38-380 zoom range, sorta. That is, there's a gap in the middle, so I guess it can't actually claim a "10X" range? If you're thinking of wideangle scenery shots, 38mm is not wide enough to suit most people, in fact, most P&S cameras start at least as low as 35mm. For a long zoom camera suitable for the type of shots you say you're looking for, look at the Panasonic DMC-TZ3, whose minimum wideangle is a much wider 28mm, also with a 10X zoom, which maxes it out (at 7MP) at 280mm, although one can shoot up to 420mm at 3MP resolution for a 15X optical zoom range. All zooming done in one step, with a single lens.

As you're thinking about long-distance scenery, it would be difficult for most people to obtain sharp photos at long zoom without image stabilization; the V610 doesn't have it, the TZ3 does.

All that, coupled with the TZ3's lower price, should make it an attractive alternative? Here's a link to my TZ3 gallery, (http://john-reed.smugmug.com/gallery/2762845) where you can see a pretty wide spectrum of different types of shots.