PDA

View Full Version : Grad student needs help

soon2b_scadgrad
06-09-2007, 07:48 AM
First the important info:

Budget:
$400 or less

Size:
Small, something that can fit in my purse.
Something like the Canon A710 would be max size, although smaller is better

Features:
Clear high quality prints as large as 8x10 will be made, so I think a higher mega pixel is needed, at least 7mp

Do you care for manual controls?
Yes, although I am a beginner

General Usage
This camera will serve 2 main purposes. I am currently a grad student majoring in graphic design. I will need this camera for school and for fun.

For school, I will need this camera to take high quality pictures of my work, this could be anything from packaging to business systems, but either way it is all printed work that will eventually go into my portfolio. I need something that can take clear shots of the typography in my work, and produce accurate color.

For the other duty of the camera, I would like something I can just take out with me on the weekends with friends, or in the afternoon at the park or beach. The image quality is important here, but these pictures will not have to be 8x10.

Miscellaneous
I purchased a Nikon Coolpix L1 last summer because it apparently had good image quality. The problem however was that it was slow as molasses and it was IMPOSSIBLE to take a non blurred shot without flash. Having gone through that, I would like a camera that is fast, has optical image stab, and has the ability to take decent indoor non flash pictures.

Second:
I have been scanning the reviews here at DCR and at Dpreview for quite awhile now, and I have found 2 cameras which seem to fit my needs. The Canon SD850IS and the Panasonic DMC-FX100. Neither of the reviews for these cameras will be out soon, and I need to make a purchase here in the next 2 weeks or so.

If anyone has knowledge on these cameras or any other camera recommendations for me I would greatly appreciate it.

bascom
06-09-2007, 11:41 AM
"Clear high quality prints as large as 8x10 will be made, so I think a higher mega pixel is needed, at least 7mp".
I think 5mp is all you need for that.

The SD850 and FX100 both sound nice but it's too bad you can't wait for reviews. What about Canon A570 or A710? They cost a lot less and have more manual controls.

coldrain
06-09-2007, 11:48 AM
Unless something odd happened overnight, the Panasonic FX100 will be a noisy critter... why are you interested in that particular model?

The Canon SD800 IS... any reason you want the SD850 IS over that one?

soon2b_scadgrad
06-09-2007, 12:19 PM
bascom & coldrain thanks for the reply.

I realized after reading more threads that your right bascom, I don't necessarily need super high mp, I will keep that in mind. Also I was very interested in the 570IS, I was just hoping to find something with the same specs, but smaller and sleeker.

As far as the Panasonic, I have read many reviews all complaining about the noise with them, and I suppose I was just crossing my fingers it wasn't as bad on this one, also my friend has a Panasonic and I love the menu system. Some of the reasons it was in my top bracket were: wide angle lens, lightest, quicktime movie format, higher screen res, and high def mode.

No reason for the 850IS over the 800IS, I suppose I just picked the 850IS because I thought newer might be better (I know that's not always true though!)

livngston
06-13-2007, 07:56 AM
The 800IS has a wider angle lense (28mm) but suffers as a result with softer corners if you are at the widest angle. The 800IS is 7MP. The 850IS does not have the wider angle lense, but is 8MP.

bascom
06-13-2007, 12:11 PM
The SD850 also has the Digic III with red eye fix.