PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Stunning Low-Light High-End P&S

joanna
06-09-2007, 01:10 AM
I am kind of allergic to cameras that suck at low-light, and am looking for one that would just take pristine indoor/night/low-light photos. I am a newbie, but am ready to learn what a high-end P&S would require, but not a DSLR just yet.

Budget <= $500
Size Does not matter.
Megapixels Around 6M at least.
Optical Zoom 4x+
Image Quality (scale from 1 to 10) 9 (outdoors), 11 (indoors).
Manual Controls yeap, a focus ring would be nice too.

General Use Still, or almost still subjects, indoor and outdoors. (no sports).
Prints Not going too, but the quality must already be high.

Brands Not biased to any.
Models in Mind Looked at the Canon PowerShot S3 IS, and the Fuji FinePix S6000fd. I think the Canon has too much noise in low-light for my taste. The Fuji looks better, but the lack of IS worries me. I am looking for additional suggestions.

Additional Features of Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD, IS (I think) is enough. Others would be nice to have too.

coldrain
06-09-2007, 01:39 AM
Longer exposure times (when light is low) have 2 problems:
Camera shake will show up (you are not holding the camera totally still, making the image blurred) and non-static subjects will blur (they move during the exposure).

To counter the camera shake, you either have to shorten the exposure time (using a higher ISO setting) or use a camera that helps hide the camera shake to a certain extent (image stabilization).
With most compact digitals higher ISO makes for noisy photos. This is where the S6000fd shines.
With an S3 IS you would not up the ISO, but rely on the image stabilization. This will keep exposure times long, and that may introduce subject motion blur.

If you would use higher ISO settings often, I would go for the Fuji S6000fd.
IS is more handy to stabilize tele photo shots.

P_Schneider
06-09-2007, 05:26 AM
I'm very happy with my S6k. If you want to check out photos there is a photo thread for the s6k over at the fuji forum. You can also check out my pbase site from my sig. It's not a perfect camera but for the money, it's hard to beat.

tim11
06-09-2007, 06:18 AM
.....The Fuji looks better, but the lack of IS worries me. ...
I used to have the same doubt but not after having used it for the first time.
Take a look at my post here:
http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showpost.php?p=184856&postcount=54

In that test, I could have used ISO200 or 400 to get higher shutter speed (sharper image) and the image would still be noise free, but I decided to stay on ISO100 just for the test. Granted, people's 'stability' can be different but my point is that don't overlook S6000 just because of the lack of OIS. If you really really doubt it, go to local store for some test drive.
Physically, I like the feel and the manual zoom and focus rings. It also has RAW format.
One note, though, on AUTO Fuji cams tend to select higher ISO than necessary but since you are willing to learn its manual functions, you shouldn't worry at all.