PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good starter camera

allspiritseve
06-08-2007, 05:49 PM
Budget
I'd like to not spend more than $3-400

Size
Small is good, I will be traveling a lot and something that can slip in a pocket is nice.

Features
Anything above 5mp would be fine. I'd like a zoom at least 126mm tele (3.5x). Image quality is very important, probably the most important, actually.

Do you care for manual controls?
Yes, I'd like something I can play around with a little, but still takes good shots with default settings.

General Usage
I'm traveling to Spain in the fall, and want a good camera for travel. I probably won't be making prints larger than 8x10. Most photos will be outdoors, landscapes, statues, monuments, bullfights, friends, etc.

Are there particular brands you like or hate?
I like Nikon, though somebody on this forum said to stay away from Nikon P+S.

Are there particular models you already have in mind?
I had been looking at the Nikon P3 and P5000

SpecialK
06-09-2007, 07:40 PM
Your specific zoom requirement is odd :-) Why 126mm, and not 125mm?

I have no experience with Nikon, sorry.

However, the Canon A710IS has some nice features.

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/powershot_a710-review/

The price has come down to about $250, which will leave room for a memory card.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-Digital-Image-Stabilized-Optical/dp/B000HATNH4/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-0056599-9306501?ie=UTF8&s=photo&qid=1181443110&sr=1-1

speaklightly
06-10-2007, 08:40 AM
allspiritseve-

In thinking of travel cameras, two come immediately to mind:

Panasonic TZ-3
Fuji S-700

Take a look. Perhaps either might work out for you.

Sarah

sjseto
06-10-2007, 10:50 AM
Nikon's compact cameras in the past few years were generally disappointing. But the P5000 seems to be a worthy contender. I handled one in a store and I really liked the feel of it. Compact without being tiny, a nice grip, good layout, and a lot of manual controls for a compact. The reviews on other sites seem to agree that the image quality is very good but it suffers when it comes to performance (e.g. power on to first shot taken, shot to shot, shutter lag, etc.). That's too bad because it seems like such a good camera in every other respect. If you can live with the sluggishness, the P5000 seems to be a camera worth considering. If not, then the Canon A710 IS and Panasonic TZ3 that have been mentioned are other possibilities. The TZ3 doesn't have the same degree of manual control that the Canon and Nikon do, but it does have that 28-280mm lens which gives you a lot of flexibility.

Stephanie

speaklightly
06-10-2007, 12:17 PM
Post in error. I apologize.

Sarah

allspiritseve
06-10-2007, 12:21 PM
Um... not sure whose post you saw, but it wasn't mine.

I think I may check out the Canon A710IS though. At least compare it to the Nikon p5000. I've seen so many varied opinions about nikon P+S I don't know who to believe.

Cory

speaklightly
06-10-2007, 01:30 PM
Cory-

Yes, I realized my error and deleted it. The Canon A-710 is a good choice. However, for about $40 more you could have the Canon S-2IS (Consumer Reports top digicam choice in their July 2007 issue) which has 12X optical zoom and IS.

Here is a S-2IS photo sample taken inside, handheld, without flash.

Sarah