PDA

View Full Version : Which is best "point & shoot" pocket Digital under AUD$350.00?

Rockyysdt
06-08-2007, 01:26 AM
Hi.

Great forum.

My four year old Casio QV-R41 is now dead. The repairer said, if it's the lens, or CPU, then it's bin material.

I paid a premium price for what I thought was a quality camera in its class at the time (metal body, small size, large LCD screen, quality lens, made in Japan etc ) and now regret it. My Pentax K1000 is still going after 35 years!

Do I pay big bucks, and end up holding the bag again, or do I go for a cheap-y and regret its performance?

What's the best value quality point and shoot digital pocket camera one can live with, without a silly price, but with acceptable performance? In other words what's the best value and quality camera for under AUD$350.00?

Desirables:

Reliable.
Fast Chip (some take two seconds from when you depress the trigger).
6+ Mexapixels.
Good size LCD.
Quality lens with min 3 x optical zoom.
Not too big.
Good battery performance included in package.
Viewfinder is desirable.
Best value for money.
Acceptable photos.

Rocky

speaklightly
06-08-2007, 05:21 PM
Rocky-

Jeff has done a review on the Sony W-35/55 (the number seems to vary with your geographical area of the world). I got the camera as a gift for my Mom and I must tell you, I had to give it a spin.

Frankly I was really impressed. In the USA, the Sony W-55 is selling for less than $(US) 200.00. Here is a sample photo taken indoors, handheld, with no flash, with the ISO at ISO 400. It might be worth a look.

Sarah

Rockyysdt
06-08-2007, 06:29 PM
Rocky-
Jeff has done a review on the Sony W-35/55 (the number seems to vary with your geographical area of the world). I got the camera as a gift for my Mom and I must tell you, I had to give it a spin.
Frankly I was really impressed. In the USA, the Sony W-55 is selling for less than $(US) 200.00. Here is a sample photo taken indoors, handheld, with no flash, with the ISO at ISO 400. It might be worth a look.
Sarah

Thanks Sarah.

I'll research this model.

Photo looks good.

Rocky.

Wirraway
06-09-2007, 03:37 AM
Hi Rocky, here in Australia A$350 will nearly get you the Sony DSC-W100 which is now discontinued but can still be found if you look around, this was originally a A$499 camera.

The W100 has the larger 1/1.8" sensor plus manual controls, and good images can be taken in low light at ISO 400 and ISO 800 with noise reduction software, had ours since Nov last year and can highly recommend this camera.
W100:

http://xs113.xs.to/xs113/07126/Boatquay_2.jpg (http://xs.to)

Honest Gaza
06-10-2007, 05:57 AM
Do some searching for Fuji F20 & F30.

They are supposed to be "leaders" in low light photography. The F30 has ISO of 3200 and manual settings for Av & Tv.

Last weekend, I was offered an F20 for $320 at Domayne and an F30 for $399. Can't guarantee they will do it for the same price this weekend.

Rockyysdt
06-10-2007, 06:39 PM
Hi Rocky, here in Australia A$350 will nearly get you the Sony DSC-W100 which is now discontinued but can still be found if you look around, this was originally a A$499 camera.

The W100 has the larger 1/1.8" sensor plus manual controls, and good images can be taken in low light at ISO 400 and ISO 800 with noise reduction software, had ours since Nov last year and can highly recommend this camera. W100:

Thanks Ian.

I had a look around.

Sadly this camera is still in the plus AU$400.00 range.

A little ablove my budget.

I'm out of work at the moment and my new philosophy is to never pay more than I have to.

That's why my current crusade is to get the best value for money camera at the lowest price if there is such a thing.

Rockyysdt
06-10-2007, 06:44 PM
Do some searching for Fuji F20 & F30.

They are supposed to be "leaders" in low light photography. The F30 has ISO of 3200 and manual settings for Av & Tv.

Last weekend, I was offered an F20 for $320 at Domayne and an F30 for $399. Can't guarantee they will do it for the same price this weekend.

Definitely.

I stumbled across both these cameras and learnt their outstanding characteristics.

Excellent low light performance and fast trigger response.

These cameras, particularly the F30 are now much harder to get and command full price because of their reputation.

The F30 replacement, the F31 is also good, but at $400.00 is $100 - $150 more than my ideal outlay.

I wish I had a crystal ball.

barb1686
06-10-2007, 06:47 PM
I'm no professional here, but I love my Canon PowerShot A610, definitely the best point and shoot camera I've shot pictures with. You can find it for under $200, but there's a newer model, the A710 IS, which I've heard rave reviews about. It's also around the $200-250 mark.

A710 IS Review:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/A710/A710A.HTM

Rockyysdt
06-10-2007, 07:52 PM
I'm no professional here, but I love my Canon PowerShot A610, definitely the best point and shoot camera I've shot pictures with. You can find it for under $200, but there's a newer model, the A710 IS, which I've heard rave reviews about. It's also around the $200-250 mark.

A710 IS Review:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/A710/A710A.HTM

Thanks Barb.

Nice cameras.

I'd buy the A710 IS if it was cheaper.

Best price I found was AU$389.00 from a local store.

Best price I found was AU$399.00 from an Australian internet store incl. shipping.

I try to avoid international internet purchases as often you can have warranty difficulties.

I wonder if there are any cameras in the AU$200-$250 mark which are as good?

barb1686
06-10-2007, 08:39 PM
Oops sorry, I forgot about the currency difference!

tim11
06-11-2007, 04:10 AM
Definitely.

I stumbled across both these cameras and learnt their outstanding characteristics.

Excellent low light performance and fast trigger response.

These cameras, particularly the F30 are now much harder to get and command full price because of their reputation.

The F30 replacement, the F31 is also good, but at $400.00 is $100 - $150 more than my ideal outlay.

I wish I had a crystal ball.

Too many to choose from. I believe all cameras mentioned in this thread are great and I am not trying to be diplomatic here. I especially like Canon PowerShot A610 which I bought for my sister. Great all rounder camera.

F30, however stands out as a king performer in low light. I bought it for this reason alone.

The only diff. between F31fd and F30 is the Face Detection feature of F31. Personally, I think it's gimmick and hate it when the camera fight me for control that I have to turn FD off when using my friend's Fuji S6500fd. Saying this, there are many owners who now won't be caught without FD.

Are you likely to use FD a lot? If not then maybe you should buy F30?

Jonathan Gingerich
06-11-2007, 11:44 AM
If you are looking for value, the Canon 560 and 570IS have reputations that can't be beat. Also, the Panasonic TZ1 is being remaindered here in the States, so it is actually cheaper than the Canons and had some awesome pros (and some inescabable cons...).

JG

Rockyysdt
06-15-2007, 01:36 AM
Oops sorry, I forgot about the currency difference!

I gave up and bought an Olympus FE-220.

My son said he'd disown me but there was no movement at the station and I was spending far too much resource without result.

Negatives were suggested feedback indicating slow trigger response and poor low light performance.

Positives were end of financial year discount and within my budget at AUD$255.00.

All I have to do now is buy an XD 1GiG memory card.

Seems to work OK and if it dies after warranty it shouldn't break the bank.

Thanks to all for your help.

This is my first photo.
An amazing spiders web on my japanese maple. The spider wasn't present. It's winter hear with and quite cold in the morning.

Rocky. :)

Honest Gaza
06-15-2007, 02:11 AM

All I have to do now is buy an XD 1GiG memory card.

Rocky. :)

Congrats on your new purchase.

JB HiFi have a special on at the moment for Olympus 1GB XD Cards for $49.

Harvey Norman (or whoever), will match this if you take the catalogue.

speaklightly
06-15-2007, 06:55 AM
Rocky-

Congratulations on your new camera. Enjoy it and learn. Have fun!

Sarah Joyce

Rockyysdt
06-15-2007, 09:20 PM
Congrats on your new purchase.

JB HiFi have a special on at the moment for Olympus 1GB XD Cards for $49.

Harvey Norman (or whoever), will match this if you take the catalogue.

Thanks for the tip HG and thanks also thanks to Sarah.

Now I'll be able to explore my artistic flare and produce great photos and screensavers, not to mention capture memories.

At Target the XD 1GIG card goes for $50.00 which is their normal price.
It's amazing how much the price of memory cards vary. Yesterday I bought a 1GIG Sandisk Micro SD card for $22.00 at a computer parts place. A generic branded version was going for $59.00 at a well known electrical store and the branded versions were even more.

I think many camera stores and other retail outlets make more profit on the memory cards than they do on the cameras.

My advice when buying a camera. Get your accessory items elsewhere. Computer parts places offer great discounts.

Mikael_N
06-16-2007, 01:59 AM
omg $50 for Olympus xD 1 gb? Oo huh.. I tough in Poland everything is much expensive in other countries.. but yeah it's still.. for my 6000fd I paid something about $406 with currency 2,9 pln per dolar so it's A LOT .. but for a Olympus xD 1gb Typ H! I need to pay $27 with that same currency like above

Rockyysdt
06-22-2007, 01:05 AM

My son said he'd disown me but there was no movement at the station and I was spending far too much resource without result.

Negatives were suggested feedback indicating slow trigger response and poor low light performance.

The reviewers were correct.

The Olympus FE 220 has a very slow trigger.

If you're taking an action shot you'll have problems.

Low light also presents a problem as there's no viewfinder and relying on the LCD yields darkness in low light situations.

Apart from that, Im back on the road again.

:D