PDA

View Full Version : Red Eye problems

lbcork
06-07-2007, 07:56 AM
I just bought the canon SD800
It got great reviews, but the red-eye is driving me crazy.
I wanted a smaller camera, but with my old camera, I'm constantly fixing the red-eye. I understand the flash needs to be farther away from the lens.
Are there any compact, or semi compact cameras that are better with red-eye.
my 2 concerns are red eye and battery life.
I'm a point a shoot girl, so nothing too fancy is needed. But I want great pictures for my scrapbooking!
Please Help.
The enormous amount of website reviews are daunting!! And confusing.

Thank you thank you!!!

cwat212
06-07-2007, 08:41 AM
do you have it on the red eye reduction setting? Not sure how much it helps with the SD800 but I think red eye is a common problem with most compact cameras.

I have a SD600 and it is pretty bad with red eyes. Actually my kid with blue eyes always has a problem but my kid with brown seldom has the same problem....

I use Photoshop Elements and it automatically fixes the red eyes when pictures are uploaded to the computer. It is almost perfect at fixing them.

John_Reed
06-07-2007, 09:49 AM
I took 25 "Point & Shoot" photos at an event last evening of people with flash. Various numbers of subjects, various distances, various ISOs. NO redeyes.

David Metsky
06-07-2007, 10:28 AM
Panasonic TZ3 isn't too shabby
Yes John, we know. :D

flippedgazelle
06-07-2007, 11:09 AM
Most "red-eye reduction" modes on P&S that operate by strobing the flash at the subject don't work very well. Some cameras have a built-in red-eye removal tool that removed red-eye via software inside the camera, although I don't know how good that is.

Most PC image-cataloging and editing software - including Picasa, which is both excellent and free - have very easy to use red-eye removal tools.

bascom
06-07-2007, 01:07 PM
Canon's newer than the SD800 have red-eye removal, like the SD1000, SD850, Canon A560/A570. Pan TZ5 has less red-eye than the TZ3 according to reviews here. Fuji F30/F40 have high ISO so you can turn the flash off.

cgl88
06-07-2007, 01:17 PM
SD800 is so tiny. The lens and flash are thus so close to each other, so you get red eye. That is why i upgraded to a dSLR. I could not stand the red eye.

BUT simply use software to get rid of it. Try adobe lightroom. they make it so easy even your grandpa can do it..without a manual!

John_Reed
06-07-2007, 03:27 PM
Are there any compact, or semi compact cameras that are better with red-eye.
my 2 concerns are red eye and battery life.
I'm a point a shoot girl, so nothing too fancy is needed. But I want great pictures for my scrapbooking!
Everyone is offering software solutions? She wants a camera that doesn't do it! Now, Bascom (the only other poster responsive to the OP's question) says the FZ5 (no longer sold) is better than the TZ3, maybe it's true, since the FZ5 has a pop-up flash; however, my own experience with the TZ3, any reviews notwithstanding, is NO redeye. And incidentally, that's been pretty much my experience with ALL my Panasonics since the FZ1, including the FZ10, 15, 30, TZ1, and FX50, whatever the reviews said. I can't even offer any evidence of redeye with the TZ3, as I don't have any evidence! Despite the closeness of the flash to the lens, somehow they have the redeye "trick" worked out pretty well in those little cameras, as far as my (limited) experience goes.

bascom
06-08-2007, 08:48 AM
I meant to say Pan TZ3 is better with red-eye than TZ1 based on reviews. There is no TZ5 (yet). Boy I messed that up.

Do you have the TZ3 now, John? What did you do with your TZ1?

cgl88
06-08-2007, 09:08 AM
Everyone is offering software solutions? She wants a camera that doesn't do it! Now, Bascom (the only other poster responsive to the OP's question) says the FZ5 (no longer sold) is better than the TZ3, maybe it's true, since the FZ5 has a pop-up flash; however, my own experience with the TZ3, any reviews notwithstanding, is NO redeye. And incidentally, that's been pretty much my experience with ALL my Panasonics since the FZ1, including the FZ10, 15, 30, TZ1, and FX50, whatever the reviews said. I can't even offer any evidence of redeye with the TZ3, as I don't have any evidence! Despite the closeness of the flash to the lens, somehow they have the redeye "trick" worked out pretty well in those little cameras, as far as my (limited) experience goes.

If there is a point and shoot (p&s) out there that does not have red eye...let me know!! some ppl like to shoot without flash - there's a fuji p&s out there that can do that..but at the same it isn't the greatest for other scenarios.

In-camera red eye 'software' might be the way to go. Seriously it's pretty easy to use...and should be considered.

John_Reed
06-08-2007, 10:22 AM
I meant to say Pan TZ3 is better with red-eye than TZ1 based on reviews. There is no TZ5 (yet). Boy I messed that up.

Do you have the TZ3 now, John? What did you do with your TZ1?My TZ1 is now busy taking baby pictures of a newborn child (my honorary grandson). I never actually had any trouble with TZ1's redeye either. I think Jeff's redeye test is pretty demanding; he usually will find redeye for cameras, and I can't make it happen, most often.

John_Reed
06-08-2007, 11:24 AM
If there is a point and shoot (p&s) out there that does not have red eye...let me know!! some ppl like to shoot without flash - there's a fuji p&s out there that can do that..but at the same it isn't the greatest for other scenarios.

In-camera red eye 'software' might be the way to go. Seriously it's pretty easy to use...and should be considered.Well, I told you about the TZ3, you must not have heard what I said? Here are some examples from the party I described, the 1st one of two old guys, at ISO 640:

http://John-Reed.smugmug.com/photos/160759379-L.jpg

Add a third old guy (me) at ISO 200, shot by a lady who'd never touched a TZ3 before this shot:

http://John-Reed.smugmug.com/photos/160759493-L.jpg

Now if that wasn't enough proof, here's a 100% crop of two eyeballs of two different people, (wanted to protect their identities) shot at ISO 500:

http://John-Reed.smugmug.com/photos/160759560-O-2.jpg

There was absolutely NO redeye removal performed on any of those shots, nor on any of the other people/flash shots I took. No noise reduction either, for that matter.

I rest my case, whether anyone wants to believe the evidence or not.:(

lbcork
06-08-2007, 06:33 PM
Thanks John! yes I was looking for a camera that would minimize or eliminate red eye. I use several programs now to get rid of it, but it's tedious. I have 2 girls, with blue eyes, so you can only imagine. I spend countless hours editing. I don't remember this much red eye years ago, with our film cameras. anyway, thanks for any input.
I returned my canon 800, until I can come up with a better plan.

John_Reed
06-08-2007, 08:08 PM
Here are 4 blue eyes, shot at ISO 160 at the same event...

http://John-Reed.smugmug.com/photos/160879328-L.jpg

Go study the issue some more, I'm sure you'll come up with a workable solution. :p