PDA

View Full Version : Please help an ignorant choose a camera!!!

aLfR3dd
06-06-2007, 03:25 PM
hi,
i'm totally new to this "world" ...i just would like someone to help me choosing a ultra compact camera (with IS) that i will use for vacations and taking pictures in general.....my budget is 300$-400$.....i really confused ...maybe sony or canon? thx:p

kgosden
06-06-2007, 08:36 PM
Since you want ultra compact I assume the super zooms are too big. While I dislike the way Panasonic handles higher ISO settings (too much ugly noise reduction) they make a consistently good IS system in all their current cameras. They also have one big advantage in that a few of the cameras have a true wide angle at the low end of the zoom, like the current DMC-FX50, this all start at 28mm equivalent. You will see these listed as having a 3.6x zoom. Most other compacts start at 35mm or so. That extra 6-7mm is a huge difference when getting shots of small groups in a room or those grand scenics.

aLfR3dd
06-07-2007, 04:06 AM
Since you want ultra compact I assume the super zooms are too big. While I dislike the way Panasonic handles higher ISO settings (too much ugly noise reduction) they make a consistently good IS system in all their current cameras. They also have one big advantage in that a few of the cameras have a true wide angle at the low end of the zoom, like the current DMC-FX50, this all start at 28mm equivalent. You will see these listed as having a 3.6x zoom. Most other compacts start at 35mm or so. That extra 6-7mm is a huge difference when getting shots of small groups in a room or those grand scenics.

thx for the reply..so u would not go for a powershot 800 or 850 or sony cybershot....the price is similar to the dmc-fx50! thx