PDA

View Full Version : Long Distance compare Kodak P712 to Olympus SP-550 UZ

wcroswell
06-04-2007, 03:25 PM
Budget

* What budget have you allocated for buying this camera? Please be as specific as possible.

Pretty much open up to $750 p712=$299 sp-550 UZ= $449

Size

* What size camera are you looking for? Or does size not matter at all to you?
Compact - 1 lb or less

Features

How many megapixels will suffice for you?

6-7 or more

* What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom = 10x-12x, Other - Specify)

want at least x12 or x18
* How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10)

Do you care for manual controls?

Okay special situations. Mainly want stabilization and optical zoom

General Usage

would like ISO greater than 800 ( limit of p712) and P712 noisey above 200 ISO

* What will you generally use the camera for?
people , landscape, some action but minimal.

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not?
no proabalby color laser HP 2550 maybe 8 1/2'' by 11" not pohotgraphic quality

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos?
some that is why would like 1600 ISO or higher.

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos?
minimal
Miscellaneous
would like date/time stamp on picture. Would like lithium ion rechageable batteries. Don't like ni-cad rechargeable becuase of battery charge memeory.

Are there particular brands you like or hate? Like kodak, like Olympus. like Canno, Sony -okay Hate fujifilm.

Are there particular models you already have in mind?
Kodak P712 and Olympus SP-550 UZ
(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD)
image stablization, lithium ion rechageable, built in flash special preset modes.

timmciglobal
06-04-2007, 03:36 PM
High ISO is nearly impossible to get in a compact and the ones who do best at it (Fuji) lack IS.

Cannon S5 with hoeshoe is a soon to be released option and the hot shoe should provide quite nice flash shots with canon TTL flashes.

Tim

AlexMonro
06-05-2007, 02:19 AM
You'll have to decide your priorities.

If you want high ISO without horrible noise, you'll have to go Fuji - S6000 is best for ISO, S9100 gives more pixels and a few other features (hinged LCD, control wheel, hotshoe etc).

If you want extreme zoom & IS (with the limitations on picture quality), go Olympus SP-550.

If you want good zoom and IS, with good picture quality at lower ISO, and Li-ion batteries, have a look at Panasonic's FZ-50 or FZ-8.

By the way, nothing's used Ni-Cd batteries for years. The latest NiMH AA cells (Sanyo Eneloop and the Rayovac Hybrid) have no memory effect and hold their charge for a year. They can be heavier than Li-ion though.

wcroswell
06-05-2007, 07:44 AM
No one has mentioned or commented on the Kodak P712. Is that a bad choice ?

Fuji has been mentioned several times, but I probably will never buy another Fuji again. I had a Fuji finepix700 and it failed :mad: after only a little over a year. The cost to fix was quoted at $250. The camera was not used that much and should not have failed completely.

I also want high zoom around x12 at a minimum.

By the way thanks for the comments although I don't completely understand all of the information.:confused:

pas49ras
06-05-2007, 08:32 AM
Kodak cameras are not highly rated as you can tell by the lack of any glowing endorsements. With any of these P/S ultra zooms, any ISO above 400 is going to compromise the picture quality, forget about ISO 1600 with any camera except a DSLR. Fuji's cameras are the best high ISO P/S cameras(good ISO 800) on the market but you have ruled them out based on past problems. The Canon S3/new S5 is also worth a look.

smartguy26
06-06-2007, 03:29 PM
dont let that past fuji experiences make you pass up a chance with the fuji s6000. i own it and its great. not one problem yet.

but comparing the two cameras, based on what i know the olympus would probably be better, but neither camera is outstanding.
i think i read something about problems with contrast and sharpening on the olympus, but dont take my word for it.

wcroswell
06-26-2007, 12:16 PM
I was going to get a Kodak P712; even had one ordered. After reading the reviews, I cancelled the order on the Kodak and went with a Sony DSCH9 for $455.

I am very pleased :) with the Camera. Infrared mode and twilight modes are effective with little or no light :cool: .

Very good pictures and very easy to use.