PDA

View Full Version : CANON EOS400 (digital rebel)or powershot S5?

silver
06-04-2007, 09:47 AM
Hello everyone,
I need some advice: I am not an expert on digital reflex but I would like to learn and experiment a bit and most of all I would like to buy a camera that can last me for a while.
I am in between Canon Eos 400D (digital rebel) or the powershot S5 which should come out soon. The Digital rebel "worries" me for the cost of additional lenses (which I can't afford right now) and I don't know if the powershot S5 would keep me busy enough to last me a while....

any advice would be appreciated,

thanks
silver :)

timmciglobal
06-04-2007, 10:07 AM
I think there is a lot to be said of the s5 + a nice flash if your lacking on funds to support a dSLR.

The hotshoe solves a lot of ISO issues with good flash use. Buy a canon 430ex or 580ex.

Tim

coldrain
06-06-2007, 10:43 AM
The S5 IS is mre compact, has a display you can use to preview/frame photos, has a movie mode, a panorama sequece mode, has IS, and has a good macro mode.
Those are its plus sides.

The XTi/400D has better possible image quality, bigger sensor so bigger depth of field control, will perform better noise wise, and can be expanded lens wise at will. Those are its plus sides.

The XTi will of course be more expensive. To have the same image stabilized tele range as the S5 IS, you will need to get the EF 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS USM, which costs around $550. To have macro ability with the XTi you will also need a lens that can focus closer, so you are looking at for instance the Sigma 18-50 f2.8 EX DC macro to replace the 18-55 kitlens, the Sigma costing around $430 (of course the XTi without kit lens costs a bit less than with kit lens too). Or a decidated macro lens.

So... while it is obvious that the S5 IS will be replaced sooner than when youw ould get an XTi, if you lack the funds now, there really is no question... just get the S5 IS for now.

Visual Reality
06-06-2007, 03:49 PM
...and on that note, if you are on the fence between high-end P&S and DSLR, don't invest in the brand new S5, rather the much cheaper S3. You will lose a lot less on depreciation and you won't be missing much.

tim11
06-06-2007, 04:25 PM
I'd say S5.
If you can afford EOS with a couple of kit lenses then go for it but otherwise S5 will get you busy for a while. I was in similar situation as you a couple of years back.
Why S5 instead of the cheaper S3? The hotshoe alone worths all the price difference, in my opinion. You will get to flash photographer not too long down the track.

silver
06-07-2007, 10:07 AM
Thankyou all,
money talk gave me a clear idea of the funds I need to "support" a XTi.
I would love to get it but from your comment the S3 or S5 can keep me busy for a while.... unless you have better options to suggest?
Thanks a lot!