Here are my answers to the questions laid out in this forum's sticky:
---------------------------------------------

Budget

* $400 - $600

Size

* I am envisioning a large camera, but i am open to any size

Features

* I don't have a megapixel requirement, but would like at least 7MP
* I think standard zoom will suffice (3-4x)
* Image quality is important to me: 8 out of 10
* I would like to have manual controls availible

General Usage

* I will use this camera for everyday pictures of people/events. I want to try outdoor / wildlife photography. I want to take close-ups of equipment.

* I do not envision making large prints of my photos

* I don't think i will be taking a large amount of indoor / low light

* I will try some sports/action photos but they are not a priority

Miscellaneous

* I have had good luck with Canon cameras

* I had Canon and Fuji in mind.

* none of these things are very important: Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD

Rooz
06-02-2007, 11:21 PM
your budget is unrealistic for a dslr and those shooting requirements. you are better off considering a superzomm P&S style like the canon s3.

toriaj
06-04-2007, 12:01 AM
I agree with Rooz ... and for what it's worth, cameras like the Canon S3 can take amazing photos. I think you will be very happy with it.

bh5505
06-07-2007, 08:04 PM
thanks for the input guys, i went ahead and got the Canon S3 from newegg

i decided that you were right, i would probably be served by a high-end P&S for a first decent digital camera. i can learn alot with the S3 and move to a digital SLR later on.

i am sure i will be back with more questions in the near future :D

DonSchap
06-07-2007, 08:11 PM
One thing I am pretty sure you will learn very quickly is that ... shutter lag really stinks. :p

If you want to start with a DSLR ... save up about $1500 ... then go shopping. That just might get you in the door ... if there is no cover charge.

We've been there, done it and most of us have pictures. Remember, you need various lens for a DSLR ... and all that great glass is just sitting on a shelf, in your favorite camera shop ... just waiting for your wallet to get there.