PDA

View Full Version : Weather-proof P&S - suggestions?

BLWNHR
06-02-2007, 08:23 PM
Budget

AU$300-400. I can get some brands near cost price through my fathers work.

Size

Needs to be fairly small.

How many megapixels will suffice for you?

Not a huge issue, but at least 4. Most photos will be used for internet or maximum of 8x6.

What optical zoom will you need?

At least 3x, preferably more.

How important is “image quality” to you?

Reasonably, but I have a K10D for important photos.

Do you care for manual controls?

If it has them. Lots of program modes is important.

General Usage

I am buying the camera to replace my girlfriends Panasonic which is starting to play up. As a true P&S person she requires only program mode. I am getting back into mountain bike riding and want to take the camera with me on rides. This is the need for small, light weight and most importantly water resistance. After coming off in a river yesterday I've realised just how important this feature will be.

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos?

The camera will be all-purpose for the most part so; Yes.

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos?

Occasionally.

Miscellaneous

Must use SD card as this is what the K10D i've got is, as well as the Panasonic we are replacing. Taking AA batteries would be an advantage as we've got some of those left fromt eh Panasonic and I've got lots from when I had my *istDL.

Are there particular brands you like or hate?

Nope. I am very impressed by Panasonic. I bought one of these for my parents a few years ago and it is a fantastic camera. I shoot Pentax DSLR but have no experience with their P&S range.

Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD)

Wide lens would be extremely handy, especially for indoor shooting. Image stabilisation is not important. Weatherproofing we've covered and the answer is yes. Hotshoe and rotating LCD is not important.

Are there particular models you already have in mind?

I had a quick traul of the net this morning and the only one I could come up with was the Pentax Optio W20. Can anyone suggest anything else?

Rooz
06-02-2007, 09:48 PM
dont olympus make a real good one ? you know the one where the dog is chewing it in the ad.

BLWNHR
06-03-2007, 02:14 AM
Yeah, but it uses that stupid xD card. That's probably the single most important thing, SD card support. I've got 3x 2gb high-speed cards, 1x 1gb high speed, 2x 512 and a 256 so I don't want to be buying more media.