PDA

View Full Version : Camera Help

moondoggy
06-02-2007, 12:29 PM
My wife and I are looking for a new camera. I currently have a Fuji digital S602 but it is big and bulky and we just don't like taking it with us anymore. My wife has a Canon elf film carmera but uses the Advantics film that you cannot hardly find anymore. We're willing to spend up to $300 for the camera excluding accessories and I've got my eye on the Canon SD750. If there is anyone out there that can give me some pro's/con's on this camera and any recommended alternatives I would appreciate the help. Thanks.

sjseto
06-04-2007, 03:37 PM
The Canon PowerShot SD series cameras have a very good reputation for image quality and early reviews don't seem to indicate that the SD750 will be any different. However some of the sample pics that I've seen online (at Steve's Digicams and Imaging Resource) seem to indicate some softness on the left side of the pictures, yet no one seems to have mentioned that. Other than that potential issue, the others would be a lack of optical viewfinder (although very few compact digicams seem to have that feature nowadays) and no image stabilization (but to get IS in a Canon you'd have to pay quite a bit more). Its predecessor, the SD630, had mediocre battery life but according to the Steve's Digicams review, it has improved with this model.

Potential alternatives are the Nikon S500, Panasonic FX30 and FX50, Sony W80 and W90, and the Fuji F40fd. All have IS except for the Fuji, which has better high ISO performance instead. There are strengths and weaknesses to each of them so its a good idea to read up and decide what you can live with and what you can't.

Stephanie

moondoggy
06-06-2007, 10:44 PM
Stephane,

Thanks for the reply. I looked at the camera's on your short list and based on another recommndation I got on another forum I also started looking at the SD1000 and SD800IS. Based on reivews found on Steve's Digicam and Imaging Resource I'm now leaning heavily toward the 800IS. According the the reviews the Image Stabalization REALLY adds to the picture quality in low light -no flash pictures and in long telephoto shots. The 800IS also gives me a 28MM vs 35 MM wide angle. Compartively speaking, the 800IS is only $50 more than the SD750 ($100 over the SD1000). With the better picture quality and the viewfinder I'm really starting to lean toward the 800IS. The other factor was that the review on Steve's Digicam pretty much had nothing bad to say about the camera, even when the limits were pushed. I'm curious as to your opinion on this camera? If you read this anytime soon I would appreciate any further input you can offer. Thanks again.

AlexMonro
06-07-2007, 02:07 AM
Remember that while IS is great for low light no flash shots of static subjects, if your subject is moving it's likely to come out blurred. To avoid that, you need a faster shutter speed (which will also help avoid camera shake), which means using a higher ISO. Many cameras produce very noisy ("speckled") images at high ISO, but the Fuji's, particuarly the F20/F30/F31, are better than most.

sjseto
06-07-2007, 07:54 AM
Since you don't mind paying a bit more, I think the SD800 IS is one of the best compacts around right now. IS can be very useful in low light but I'll echo what Alex said about it depending on what the subject is. You can shoot sharp pictures at 1/4s with IS but if your subject moves even slightly, it will be blurry. Still, it can save the day a lot of times.

If I was buying a compact camera today, it would be a tough choice between the SD800 IS and the Fuji F30/F31. The SD800 IS has IS, generally more vibrant colours, a better continuous mode, and the optical viewfinder going for it. The Fujis have better high ISO performance, generally better sharpness (check out the F31 review at dpreview), and aperture and shutter priority modes. The manual controls are a big plus for me but don't matter much to the majority of snapshooters.

Stephanie

moondoggy
06-15-2007, 11:32 AM
Well, I bought the Canon SD800IS and I really like the camera. My only concern, and I now know why others complained so much, is that the covers for the battery/memory and the ports are VERY flimsy, expecially the cover over the ports. The first time I opened the port door I thought I had broken it as it is only held on buy a very simplistic hinge. I'll have to be VERY careful when doing anything with the ports. Bottom line however is that with everything closed up as it should be it shoots great pictures.