PDA

View Full Version : S6000fd?

Studentpilot
05-31-2007, 08:05 PM
Hello DCRP!!!

New member here and want to ask a few questions for some advice. For a long time I have wanted to be somewhat artistic, but utterly failing at drawing (not even kidding, my stick figures leave a lot to be desired) I didn't have much of an opportunity. I always like photography and wanted to get good at it. So I am finally deciding to give it a go.

When I first started thinking about a digital camera I knew I wanted something that was a bit more advanced than a normal point and shoot so I could experiment and try things out. A DSLR though was very expensive and outta my price range (still a student, so money is tightish). Seeing the idea of SLR-like cameras in consumer reports tweeked my interest. I started researching and have fallen in love with the S6000FD.

What I like about it:
1. Just seems like a great camera, great performance, great quality.
2. Barrel zoom and focus (My dad had an older camera with barrel zoom and I always liked that)
3. Ability to play around with settings and tweak
4. Hella of a big zoom lens
5. Low price (seen it for as low as 250!!:D)

I just have a few questions and concerns.

1.Does this thing have image stabilization or not? I keep reading it doesn't but then B&H virtual demo says it does... If it doesn't, how important is IS for telephoto shots?
2. How good is the shutter speed for action shots? I am a huge aviation enthusiast (hence the screen name) and would be taking a lot of shots of planes not only on the ground but taking off and landing. Will this be good for that? My goal is to get a shot in airliners.net
3. Is it too big for common use? Although I like the idea of a nice firm SLR-like camera I also do want it to be moderately practical as I can only afford one camera.

DCRP recommended info:

Budget: Would like to keep it under 350ish (some birthday money is upcoming)

Size: I know that I can't get what I want in a point and shoot so superzoom is fine.

Features:
1. Megapixels - 6 seems fine to me. I won't be making huge posters or anything with this.
2. As aviation will probably be a big part of my shot collection optical zoom is important. A lot of times you just cant get THAT close to planes (not only for security but those big jet engines like to suck things up!!)
3. Image Quality: 8ish
4. I would like a good amount of manual control but also something that can be used more auto style at first or when im in a hurry
5. I really really like barrel zoom, the control it offers really impresses me. I hate mashing buttons for zoom on any camera.

General Usage:
1. Still life as well as aviation. Probably not a lot of portraits amazingly enough. Although my friends do like their picture taken.
2. No big prints here
3. Probably mostly outdoor shots.

Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated!!

shahmatt
05-31-2007, 08:44 PM
Hi, to answer your questions:

Hello DCRP!!!

I just have a few questions and concerns.

1.Does this thing have image stabilization or not? I keep reading it doesn't but then B&H virtual demo says it does... If it doesn't, how important is IS for telephoto shots?

The S6500FD does not have Optical image stabilization. Instead it has a mode called 'anti blur' which ups the shutter speed while increasing ISO. So your image quality will reduce a bit by using this mode.

IS is definitely a useful feature to have for telephoto or lowlight shots, but it won't help much if your subject is moving. Will you be taking more photographs of moving aircraft or parked ones? In any case, in less than ideal light, you will have to resort to a higher ISO to capture sharp images. Fortunately, the S6500FD has amazing high ISO quality, rivalling entry level DSLR's, so this is not such a bad thing.

2. How good is the shutter speed for action shots? I am a huge aviation enthusiast (hence the screen name) and would be taking a lot of shots of planes not only on the ground but taking off and landing. Will this be good for that? My goal is to get a shot in airliners.net

The S6500FD has a maximum shutter speed of 1/2000 seconds, which is pretty fast. Combined with the high ISO, you should be able to take decent action shots without a problem.

3. Is it too big for common use? Although I like the idea of a nice firm SLR-like camera I also do want it to be moderately practical as I can only afford one camera.

Size is a very subjective thing, and I can't say much here. The big question is, are you comfortable with it? The S6500FD is big camera, but with all it's bulkiness you get the superb manual zoom ring lens, wide angle, a powerful flash....etc etc... It makes a compelling reason for going upsize. You won't get such a lovely deal in a small package easily.

P.S. I had my doubts too when I got my unit. Do I really want to get a camera this big? But with a single twist of the manual zoom ring lens I feel on top of the world again, but that's just me :D.

speaklightly
05-31-2007, 10:12 PM
The Fuji S-6000fd is a rather unique camera. Using the Fuji F-30 imager and the S-9000/S-9500 lens, it is a bit of a hybrid camera. However, those two elements allow the Fuji S-6000 to excel at taking high ISO digital photos while still being a very conventional point and shoot camera.

Take this photo for example, it was taken handheld at ISO 800, an ISO setting that would send most conventional point and shoot cameras into an absolute tizzy and produce significant amounts of noise in the photo as well.

However, you will note by examining the photo in detail, that the noise is under full control, and a great amount detail is easily captured, all thanks to Fuji's high ISO technology.

That is the secret of Fuji's high ISO technology. A point and shoot camera can be almost as rersponsive as a DSLR camera.

By the way student pilot, I hold an ATR ( an Air Trasport Captain's rating) in Boeing 707's, Boeing 727's, Boeing 737's, Boeing 747's!

Sarah

AlexMonro
06-01-2007, 02:29 AM

1. No IS as most people understand the term. As Shahmatt says, just an "anti-blur" mode which boosts the ISO and favours higher shutter speeds.

2. The 1/2000s maximum (1/4000s in manual) shutter speed should be quite fast enough for aviation shots, even freezing propellers. However, you're going to need plenty of light to make use of those fast speeds, especially at the full zoom max aperture of f/4.9. In practice, 1/500s to 1/1000s would probably be fast enough, giving slightly blurred props to show it's moving.

3. Only you can decide. Get down to a camera shop and have a feel of how it handles, and an idea of how you'll carry it.

Studentpilot
06-01-2007, 03:02 AM
Thanks for all the information!!

The lack of OIS is pretty disappointingly (especially since consumer reports says it has it :rolleyes:) but will the use of a tripod negate most of the camera shake for high telephoto shots? I wouldn't use my tripod for in air/landing/takeoff shots, but for those I would be using a high shutter speed anyway. Speaklightly do you have this camera and ever use it for aviation? I'd love any advice you might have as you seem knowledgeable about the subject.

I forgot to ask, how is shutter lag (both initial and next shot delay)? I've read reports that its above average but then also that its often too slow for action shots.

Sorry for all the questions!

shahmatt
06-01-2007, 06:47 AM
The tripod will work better than an in camera IS, definitely. But Fuji's high ISO capability is pretty good actually, and really, you might find yourself quite satisfied with hand held images as well.

Btw, as Alexmonro said, the S6500 can go up to 1/4000 seconds.. my mistake earlier....dayumnnn, that's fast...

speaklightly
06-01-2007, 07:56 AM
Student Pilot-

Yes, I do own and use the Fuji S-6000. The shutter lag is minimized. It is not as fast as a DSLR, but quite a bit faster than many point and shoot cameras. When used for aviation shots, it will be important to keep track of the shutter speed about to be used, as shown in the EVF. One possibility would be to use the S-6000, in the aperture preference mode. That way you will alway be sure of having the correct shutter speed, providing you have sufficient light. Personally, I use it most of the time in the Program Mode with a manual set ISO. I quickly check the shutter speed before pressing the shutter for each shot. It is an easy work flow technique to learn and use.

The S-6000 is quite capable and produces excellent results both indoors and outdoors. I think you would enjoy the S-6000 a great deal.

Sarah

Studentpilot
06-01-2007, 02:37 PM
Thanks for all the help you guys!!

I am really leaning towards this camera, and if it wasn't for the lack of OIS I would probably buy it right this second. Do you know if Fuji is planning to come out with the same model with OIS in the near future? I just don't want to buy it and then a month later a new model with OIS come out for $50 more. I am a newbie to photography so I probably won't be able to hold the camera very still for a while. The lack of OIS is nagging me but the rest of the camera looks just fantastic. I can't find anything else with all the stuff I like about this camera in this price range.

Thanks again!

Studentpilot
06-02-2007, 06:03 PM
Also what do you guys think about filters from the get go? Putting my kit together on B&H I have the camera, a nice bag, 1gb xD card (h-type), and 2 filter kits. The first includes a 0.6 neutral density filter and a normal glass clear protective filter and a soft pouch ($15). The second ($40) includes a circular polarizer filter and a UV filter. Both kits are from Tiffen. This does add a good bit to the price of the package (remember i'm a student! :D) Is it worth it to get these filters? Should I scrap them for now and maybe buy them later? What do you think?

Thanks so much!

speaklightly
06-02-2007, 06:42 PM
Student Pilot-

All you need really is a Circular Polarizer, please save yourself some money.

Sarah