PDA

View Full Version : Fujifilm s6000fd or ...

msas
05-30-2007, 07:23 AM
I've been researching the Fujifilm s6000fd and really like it's feature set. One thing that worries me is that there is no O.I.S. I'll be taking alot of pictures of my 3 year old son who of course does not sit still, so does that mean i will end up with alot of blurry photos if he moves suddenly? The picture stabilization feature just bumps the ISO up really high so i'm not sure if that is a good solution.

As far as other reasons for wanting this camera...
Face detection
ultra zoom and Wide angle
good sensor
manual controls, especially focus ring a nice touch

moreno_iv
05-30-2007, 07:25 AM
The optical image stabilization is only useful if your subject is motionless, so OIS won't help with a rambunctious child. The high ISO performance of the S6000fd can be combined with faster shutter speeds to capture your son's movements better than a camera with OIS would.

TooMuchButtHair
05-30-2007, 10:14 AM
I had very similar concerns, but I was put to ease by the knowledge that as long as your shutter speed is reasonably fast, you'll get no blur at all. The Fuji 6000fd is such an appealing camera because it takes darn good night shots for not being a DSLR. I wouldn't let no OIS stand in the way of getting the camera, especially if you're going to be using higher shutter speeds to take pictures of fast moving subjects.

coldrain
05-30-2007, 10:34 AM
The above posters are of course right, but I want to try to make it a bit more clear. Image stabilization tries to counter camera movement, not subject movement. With longer exposure times, you not holding the camera perfectly still will make the subject a bit blurry. IS helps to move the sensor or a lens element in such a way that the image on the sensor stays in the same place, so that the image will not be blurred by camera shake.

Of course, with a longer exposure time, a moving subject will look blurred on the photo too. So... where IS will help with longer shutter times, the subject will need a SHORTER shutter time, else it will be blurred from its own motion too.

To achieve shorter shutter times and still catch enough light for the photo, higer ISO settings are useful. This is where the S6000fd excels, it produces less noise than the competition at higher ISO settings.
And this makes it the best option in ultra zoom cameras for moving subjects, like your child.

speaklightly
05-30-2007, 04:34 PM
While the Fuji S-6000fd camera does not have any form of IS, it is none the less a very creditable camera that is able to take photos at high ISO settings whereas other point and shoot cameras, while able to take photos with high ISO settings, produce photos that display measurable grain/noise/electronic noise interference.

Here is a photo sample for your consideration that was taken at ISO 800, indoors, handheld, and without flash.

Also please take the time to look at the rather extensive, multi page, Fuji S-6000 photo album which can be found inthe the Fuji folder.

Sarah

speaklightly
05-30-2007, 04:38 PM
And for those folks who might be somewaht concerned about how well the Fuji S-6000 camera does out of doors in sunshine, I also ofer the outdoors sample from the S-6000 camera

Sarah

John_Reed
05-31-2007, 01:05 PM
Good to see you around these parts. Is that first one of someone I know? Nice portrait, impressive high-ISO performance there. I've always loved your examples, and your outdoor scenery example is also very nice. Thanks for posting!