PDA

View Full Version : $150 or less camera, please

zhandao
05-28-2007, 05:09 PM
Budget

* What budget have you allocated for buying this camera? Please be as specific as possible.

Preferably $150 or less.

Size

* What size camera are you looking for? Or does size not matter at all to you?

Small enough to be able to stick in a pant pocket, but it's okay if it creates an unsightly bulge.

Features

How many megapixels will suffice for you?

At least 5 megapixels. I won't really be making prints but I would like high resolution images I can stick on websites and/or manipulate on the computer.

* What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom = 10x-12x)

Standard.

* How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10)

10, or as good as possible within my budget

Do you care for manual controls?

Not necessary but it's a welcome option to mess around with.

General Usage

* What will you generally use the camera for?

All-around use, taking pictures of events, gatherings, cars, etc. Like I said above, although the usage will be for all-around use, I still would like higher resolution pictures (compared to my 0.3MP camera phone, at least) to display on the web.

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not?

No.

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos?

It will be for all-around use, so I might end up shooting some of these.

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos?

I might, but it's not a big deal.

Miscellaneous

Are there particular brands you like or hate?

No.

Are there particular models you already have in mind?

No.

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD)

No.

zhandao
05-29-2007, 10:46 PM
Anybody? I want to try to get a camera ASAP for the weekend.

sjseto
05-30-2007, 06:59 AM
The Canon PowerShot A550 seems like a good choice. The A-series in general offer a lot for not much money, and tend to have very good image quality. Jeff liked it, although in his review he recommends spending a bit more to get the A560:

The Canon PowerShot A550 is a very good entry-level digital camera, and one that I can recommend easily. I'm going to do something a little unusual, though: I'm going to recommend that you pay $30 more for its big brother, the PowerShot A560. Why? For the speed and improved photo quality of the DIGIC III processor, a larger/sharper LCD, longer movie record times, and a tool that ends the annoying redeye problem that has plagued the A-series cameras for some time.

If you can still find any stores that carry the discontinued Fuji FinePix F10 and F20 models, I'd highly recommend those as well, for their excellent higher ISO capability.

Stephanie