PDA

View Full Version : How many mpixel? (D40/d40x or highend compact?)

chrisk
05-28-2007, 05:57 AM
Hi,

I'm going to buy a new camera within the next few months.
I usually only view my pictures on an 22" widescreen TFT, but I won't make any prints larger than DIN A4. How many mpixel should a camera have for viewing on a TFT of that size?

At the moment I only have a Fuji Finepix 4700zoom (yeah... old and I'm not happy with it all, noise level is toooo high, show-to-shot is very slow, image quality isn't great...).

My threshold of pain is at 550 (~720$).
I'm considering the Nikon D40 and the D40x (that's why I'm asking about how many mpixel...), or the Panasonic DMC-FZ50 or Fuji S9600 (S9100 in non-european areas).

I'd really like to have the zoom range of the highend compacts, but I don't need to have it right now, so I think if I'd go with one of the DSLR's I could just buy another lense a few month later... (any suggestions btw? something in the area of 150-250$).

Image quality is very important to me (I'd give it an 8) and I really don't know what to think about the noise levels of the FZ-50 (the S9600 seems to be a bit better from what I've seen and read).

Performance is another thing... the S9600 is pretty slow, the Nikon's are very fast (Or better: fast enough for me).

The D40/x would be great but doesn't have the zoom I'd like to have, but the quality/noise of the highend compact ones is for sure worse than the DSLRs.

Could someone throw in one's two pennies worth?
Thanks.

Visual Reality
05-28-2007, 07:02 AM
Same boat I am in. I have an S3, and while I love it, I would love even more to have an SLR camera. I want the power, speed, and quality it would give me. But I would hate to lose the flexibility to take 0cm super macro pics of a bug on a flower, zoom the lens all the way to 432mm to capture the hairs on a tiger's nose, then hit the movie record button and record a bit of video of him, in stereo sound. All in the same device without changing a lens or getting out a mini-DV camera to do the rest of the job.

Looks like you have considered the right options...the Fuji looks to be the best high-end "SLR-Like" (super-zoom) camera for pure picture takers but it loses to the Canon in other features so its not as good "all around".

You will gain picture quality for sure, but it will come with the added necessity of carrying at least one extra lens to swap, and the cost associated with it. There are trade-offs when you step up into this SLR arena but its all in what you think you can live with. I will eventually be at that point also but am just reading all I can in the meantime while I master my trusty S3. You didn't mention the Rebel though, so I am not sure if you are considering that one as well? I think it would be best to keep that one in mind also.

Also what monitor do you have? I have the Sceptre x22-wg and I like it, but will be going to a 24" with a better panel for photo editing soon (and inputs for my game consoles). I'm also ordering a Colorvision Spyder to make sure my settings are right. A 22" widescreen has a resolution of 1680x1050, and a 24" is 1920x1200 which gives a lot more room to work with and is enough space for 1080p movies too ;)

chrisk
05-28-2007, 07:30 AM
I've got a Samsung SyncMaster 226BW as my primary monitor. (But am going to replace it with a 24" too)
And yeah I considered the Canon 400d :), but inspite of the fact that it's too expensive (650 with a kit lense in Germany) from what I've read the kit lense is not that good and the camera is a bit small. I am not going to record many movies with this camera, so the fuji would be great if it would be faster (It was very difficult to follow a dolphin show in ocean world with my fuji 4700 and I don't think die S9600 is much faster, right?)

coldrain
05-28-2007, 11:41 AM
The D40 is almost the same size and weight as the XTi/400D.
The XTi/400D offers quite a bit more though, and it is not more expensive than the D40X... so, if the XTi is too expensive for you, so is the D40X.

If you are considering a bridge camera like the FZ50 and S9600 instead, take a look at the Fuji S6000/6500. It has a 6mp sensor, and performs very good for its type. I would prefer that one over the FZ50 and S9600.

What reach does your camera need to have? A 18-55 kit lens is not going to get you very "far". The kitlenses of the Canon and Nikon are not all that different in performace, btw.

chrisk
05-28-2007, 01:36 PM
The D40 is almost the same size and weight as the XTi/400D.
The XTi/400D offers quite a bit more though, and it is not more expensive than the D40X... so, if the XTi is too expensive for you, so is the D40X.
Yes, you're right. If I should go for the D40x I'd just wait a few more month (Same for the D400)

If you are considering a bridge camera like the FZ50 and S9600 instead, take a look at the Fuji S6000/6500. It has a 6mp sensor, and performs very good for its type. I would prefer that one over the FZ50 and S9600.
Which leads me back to my initial question: Are 6MP enough for viewing on a 22/24" TFT or am I getting too close to the camera resolution? (Pictures taken with my 4700 look worse in fullscreen than at 75%)

What reach does your camera need to have? A 18-55 kit lens is not going to get you very "far".
My current one goes 38-108mm (35mm equiv.), the Nikkor 18-55 which is 27-82mm. Maybe a total beginner question, but: The 38-108mm would get me closer than the 27-82mm one and the for wide-angle the other way around, doesn't it?

fionndruinne
05-28-2007, 02:17 PM
(Pictures taken with my 4700 look worse in fullscreen than at 75%)

In my experience, it has been almost the reverse with a DLSR. The closer you come to full size, the better (unless it is high-ISO, or the picture was blurred, etc.). Full resolution with a DSLR is often very good-looking, though some minor editing might be needed (shots tend to be soft without some sharpening).

If your only needs are standard range and some inexpensive zoom, the D40 + 55-200mm VR lens is a good choice at about $750. If you want real macro shots, you'll be limited, though, unless you're keen on manually focusing for those (the only macro lenses with internal focus motors are quite pricey).

Visual Reality
05-28-2007, 02:31 PM
Which leads me back to my initial question: Are 6MP enough for viewing on a 22/24" TFT or am I getting too close to the camera resolution?
Yes, see my response above to this. 6mp is plenty, actually bigger than both screens.

chrisk
05-28-2007, 11:25 PM
Ok. Thank you all.
I think I'll go for a DSLR, but I'm not yet sure which one.
I've got a better job in perspective, so I think I'll wait and then get the D40x or the D400 with 18-55 + 55-200 lenses.