PDA

View Full Version : Nikon d40/Pentax k100d

smartguy26
05-27-2007, 01:09 PM
This is probably asked a lot
im considering buying a dSLR and these cameras seem to be good choices.

The d40 has overall better quality (i think), and the limited lenses with the AF compatibility does not bother me because the lenses i want are there.

the k100 is a bit cheaper, has even more lenses to choose from (should i decide to buy a wider range of lenses) and has in-camera stabilization. The kit lens does not seem to be that good though.

i would have considered the canon 350d, but im tight on money

any input?

speaklightly
05-27-2007, 02:30 PM
Selecting a DSLR camera, at least for me, hinges on the physical handling, and if the camera's capabilities match my shooting style. I also looked at both the Nikon D-40 and the Pentax K100.

After a trip to the camera store and handling both cameras and taking a few photos using my own SD chip. I determined that I liked the feel of the Nikon D-40 in hand better than the Pentax K-100. Looking at the photos taken with both cameras, the Nikon jpg photos right out of the camera looked a good deal better than the Pentax K100.

So I purchased the Nikon D-40 with a 14 day trial provision. That was three months ago. I have come to really enjoy the D-40 a lot. Thus far, I am operating with the Nikkor 18-55mm kit lens and the inexpensive (about $(US) 230.00) Nikkor 55-200mmVR lens.

Over the holiday weekend, I was able to borrow a Nikkor 18-200mmVR lens and I have enjoyed using it, but it costs more than I would be willing to spend.

I have attached D-40 a sample photo taken inside without flash and hand held.

Sarah

smartguy26
05-27-2007, 04:15 PM
thanks
thats a good photo

i was planning on buying that 55mm-200mm lens also

Visual Reality
05-27-2007, 05:24 PM
Too much JPEG compression, hard to see the fine details that camera produces.

Visnew
05-27-2007, 05:51 PM
I'm not an expert, but I was looking at both cameras. While I think the D40 is probably a better camera, I was able to find the K100D for $389 (with kit). The cheapest I could find the Nikon kit was $477.

Since the Pentax was almost $90 cheaper, I opted for the K100D - I also got the 50-200 lenses for an additional $110 (Note: This includes a $150 rebate from Pentax and a 10% discount from shop.com for 1st time users. That site has hundreds of stores and I bought mine from beachcamera.com - which has very good ratings from resellerrattings.com)

I am no way affiliated with Shop.com, Beach Camera or Pentax and I apologize if I'm not supposed to discuss specific stores and prices.

SpecialK
05-27-2007, 06:09 PM
The Pentax has image stabilization which works on all lenses, exposure bracketing, mirror lockup in the self-timer modes. and free RAW software. I do not use exposure bracketing after having tested that "zero" was accurate, but it could be useful in rapidly changing shooting conditions. The Pentax has a small buffer which limits continuous shooting. Tungsten lighting is best corrected with the tungsten setting of the WB unless you shoot RAW in which case WB and most other camera settings are changeable. It also has a "guide" feature which explains the menu choices in full words instead of the cryptic menu abbreviations.

I like my K100D. D40 owners like their camera, too.

flippedgazelle
05-28-2007, 07:55 AM
Too much JPEG compression, hard to see the fine details that camera produces.

She had to compress it, as there is an upload file size limit here.

smartguy26
05-31-2007, 05:50 PM
ive looked at available lenses (ive included the canon xti in my research), and pentax seems to have the best choices for me
canon is too expensive, most lenses are >$400
nikon (for the d40) is very limited
but pentax has a wide range and many different prices (im interested in the macro and fisheye)

with this in mind
which would you choose?

actually
canons prices arent too bad
are those cheaper lenses ($200-$300 good quality)?

r3g
05-31-2007, 06:22 PM
They both have some advantages over each other.. Best way to choose is to play with both of them and see which you like best. Either way your getting a good camera :] . Ive never used a K100D before but that built in image stabilization is something i really with i had.

SpecialK
05-31-2007, 08:36 PM
pentax seems to have the best choices for me...
canon is too expensive
nikon (for the d40) is very limited
but pentax has a wide range and many different prices (im interested in the macro and fisheye)

You answered your own question :-)

Rooz
06-01-2007, 01:12 AM
canon is too expensive, most lenses are >$400

this is a deceptive point here and not entirely accurate cos both the canon and pentax kit lens are crap.

if you get the k100D with the kit lens you are going to end up with a pretty poor quality lens. get the canon body and marry it up with the sigma 18-50mm f2.8 and you have a great fast lens which will outperform the pentax plus kit lens hands down. of course you can get the pentax with the same lens and you have a great kit aswell. so it comes down to body feel and features.

the point is, don;t always look at manufacturer specific lens' particualrly as your general walkaround lens cos there are cheaper high performance lens' out there from 3rd party suppliers. the nikon d40's "advantage" if you are buying the cams in kit only foem is that the nikon kit lens' are very respectable performers but on the flip side, you cant get the faster sigma or tamron glass.