PDA

View Full Version : Some suggestions, please!

Thebluejackal
05-27-2007, 08:53 AM
Budget

* What budget have you allocated for buying this camera? Please be as specific as possible.

<$300 preferably, but I can go up to $50 over.

Size

* What size camera are you looking for? Or does size not matter at all to you?

Preferably a smaller one that's easy to take just about anywhere.

Features

How many megapixels will suffice for you?

7+; I'd like a good-quality image, but I know that asking much more than that would take me out of my price range.

* What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom = 10x-12x, Other - Specify)

I'd like as good an optical zoom as I can get for the money.

* How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10)

Do you care for manual controls?

Yes.

General Usage

* What will you generally use the camera for?

Taking pics of my larger pieces of art that won't fit onto a scanner plus pics of sculptures, taking pics of my foster animals for Petfinder (kittens are quick!), and for use at conventions, ren faires, and other events.

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not?

I would like to at least be able to make an 8.5X11 print.

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos?

Yes.

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos?

Yes.

Miscellaneous

Are there particular brands you like or hate?

Nope! Open on this!

Are there particular models you already have in mind?

I was looking at the Kodak Easyshare V803 at Best Buy, but decided to see what reviews/suggestions I could find before I buy.

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD)

Doesn't matter to me!

Thanks so much for your help!

toriaj
05-28-2007, 02:52 AM
The Canon S3 is currently on Amazon for $303. Once the S5 comes out, the price will drop even lower.

Once you've researched a few cameras, go to the store and play with them. See how they feel in your hands, which one feels "right." Since you want manual controls, do your homework to make sure your camera has them. My brother just bought the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W55. It has very limited controls. Although the settings can be manipulated somewhat with the modes in the camera, it's a lot less convenient and user-friendly than having direct controls.