PDA

View Full Version : Canon XTi or Canon S5?

AnthonyLok
05-24-2007, 11:14 PM
Budget

* What budget have you allocated for buying this camera? Please be as specific as possible.

Maximum of $1200 including lens. The cheaper the better.

Size

* What size camera are you looking for? Or does size not matter at all to you?

I would prefer something smaller than the Nikon D50.

Features

How many megapixels will suffice for you?

8-10MP.

* What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom = 10x-12x, Other - Specify)

Ultrazoom.

* How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10)

Do you care for manual controls?

Yes, I would like something that will allow me to grow into.

General Usage

* What will you generally use the camera for?

Both indoor and outdoor shooting. I will want to be able to shoot just about everything...from people to landscape and cars. I will also like to be able to shoot moving objects.

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not?

Generally only 8x10.

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos?

Yes.

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos?

Yes.

Miscellaneous

Are there particular brands you like or hate?

I prefer Canon and Nikon.

Are there particular models you already have in mind?

Canon XTi or Canon S5.

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD)

Image stabilization and wide angle.

--------------------------------------

I already have a P&S digital camera, the Canon SD630. I had previously owned a Nikon D50 with 18-70mm DX Nikkor lens (D70 kit lens). I ended up selling the D50 because I did not find the time to learn to use it. I am now dedicated to learn better photography.

I was pretty set on the Canon XTi, but I am still kind of skeptical if I will be able to master a DSLR camera. That was why I also compared the Canon S5, which will be coming out in two months, and is the successor of the S3.

Although I already have the Canon SD630, I still want a camera that is capable of producing beautiful pictures in automatic mode. Since I have not really messed with a DSLR camera, I do not know how long it will take me to get a subject in focus and all the settings correct. There are times when I want to be able to pick up the camera and have a picture snapped within 6-8 seconds (I can do that with the SD630, but it does not have ultrazoom). But there is also the times when I have all the time in the world to mess with the settings and snap a beautiful picture (i.e. sitting at the lake, walking around in the park, etc.)

Please give me your suggestions! If you suggest the XTi, please recommend me a good lens that will keep the total under $1200.

Thanks,
Anthony

Visual Reality
05-25-2007, 03:07 AM
XTI over the S5 hands down.

I would not buy the S5, instead an S3 + Accessories.

Riley
05-25-2007, 10:15 AM
S5 for portraits

Visual Reality
05-25-2007, 02:50 PM
S5 for portraits
I don't agree with that at all. While the S3/S5 are great cameras, they won't produce nearly the DOF that the XTi will.

Visual Reality
05-25-2007, 08:19 PM
namic range of any camera system
Which is true, but it won't capture the same amount of fine detail and do it with the low noise of the DSLR.

I have an S3, and I know its limitations so I won't talk it up to be something it isn't.

It is however a very good camera and does everything I wanted all in one device without changing lenses, whipping out a sound recorder, or carrying a mini-DV cam. However a jack of all trades is a master of none.

Besides...the only way to get a good DoF for a portrait with the S3/S5 would be at max zoom and how many people stand 100 feet away from their subject when shooting portraits?

Riley
05-25-2007, 08:26 PM
oh i see, thanks, the Canon S5, not the Fuji S5 dSLR
well his considerations are then the cost of getting a dSLR kit up to spec
and the learning curve required

the camera differences are noise resolution and the flexibility
v/s convenience and cost of the S5

mcenut
05-25-2007, 09:44 PM
...I still want a camera that is capable of producing beautiful pictures in automatic mode.

Isn't that an oxymoron? Automatic mode limits creativity and most of the time takes the picture with the wrong settings.

A DSLR camera is your best choice, but does require you to spend time learning how to use it. Once you do, you will forget about "automatic mode."

AnthonyLok
05-26-2007, 08:27 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I went and played with an XTi with the kit lens and I did not like the feeling of it in my hand. I played with the D80 and loved it. I guess I will not be searching for a good deal on a Nikon D80!

I also read mixed reviews for the 18-135mm D80 kit lense. Some people said that the 18-70mm D70 kit lense is a lot better than the D80 kit lense.