PDA

View Full Version : what sould i buy.. olymus E-510 or pentax K10D

Jip
05-24-2007, 08:07 AM
hello people

can u give me some advice about these 2 cams.. i need to use it for my education and i need to shoot all kind of photo's inside and outside.. dark en bright..

so what is the best overall cam of these 2?..

tnx!

Jip

Riley
05-25-2007, 01:48 AM
i would wait for 2 reasons
the 510 isn't in review yet, although i think Jeff just received one
and i would wait and see what the fallout was from the Pentax takeover by Hoya

but on the info so far, the 510 is looking a little special

Jip
05-26-2007, 04:00 AM
okee! i already was going to wait for the 510 review, but i have been reading a lot about the pentax and the flaws i read are the banding, bad af in dark places? and the softness of the standard setting with jpeg.. but are these really a problem??.. i mean the banding comes when u expose for like 5 min?.. and the jpeg problem can be solved with a tweak here and there?..
And about the af in dark places.. hmm is it that bad?..

and the takeover by Hoya.. why should that be a bad thing?.. ARGG! i'm getting loony!

i really like the pentax.. but it has a few flaws.. but wich cam doesn't..

and the 510.. ill wait for it.. :)

Norm in Fujino
05-26-2007, 04:23 AM
The E-510 should be out between June-July, but I personally would want to wait until the bugs get worked out with the first couple of firmware upgrades; the E-410 shares the same sensor, and some reviewers (including Jeff here at DC Resource Page (http://www.dcresource.com/news/newsitem.php?id=3530)) have expressed opinions to the effect that it underexposes excessively (most dSLRs these days seem to be designed to underexpose to save the high tones, and all you have to do is apply Exposure Compensation, anyway, but . . .), otherwise, it seems to perform very well, and has SSWF, in-camera pixel mapping, and liveview (of course, the E-510 will, too, plus in-body IS).
Of course, by the time the E-510 gets its first firmware upgrade or two, the E-3 should be here. . . :confused:

Riley
05-26-2007, 04:32 AM
Banding can be the result of a poor RAW conversion choice, Im dont know if this is the issue with the Pentax at all though. If its in jpegs, its a different issue, its fixable with a firmware fix no doubt, but will Pentax do that now. Another aspect, i suspect cell phones active near cameras have an affect on the output of some.

AF hunting in dark places is fairly typical of most systems, most of them work by defining contrasting edges, and where this is typically less in low light. The AF i tried on a Pentax in broad daylight was fine.

Softness can be fixed in post processing, its typical to have to do some PP with dSLRs to get the best out of them, that can be fun too. If its the choice of lens thats causing the softness, you might be able to source better glass.

the Hoya thing is a whole different bag, non of us here know what will happen. Hoya could, and might close them right down, or it might try to sell the camera division to another bidder, such as Samsung. However you look at it, development will be frozen at Pentax for some time. While they get their ownership sorted out, the best people will be head-hunted out. They are DIW competitively as far as im concerned, and thats a shame.

Jip
05-26-2007, 08:05 AM
wow what your telling me now about the takeover of pentax.. is not good!! is it better for me to buy the samsung then??.. but the samsung doesn't have the remote flash thingie right?.. and a few other things are diff..

i really really like the pentax.. but now i'm in doubt if i sould buy it because the development will stop?.. hmmmm

crap! now really don't know what to do :P

SpecialK
05-27-2007, 06:40 PM
wow what your telling me now about the takeover of pentax.. is not good!!

Busines take-overs happen every day and it in no way means it is the end of the world - especially since it has not even happened.

Jip
05-29-2007, 12:13 PM
hmm let's see what happens.. i'm going to buy a cam around july.. so hope they will have some news then.. and fixes :D

Riley
05-29-2007, 12:38 PM
yes it seems some 410 have a metering issue and some dont

heres some recent reviews where you can see that

http://scaredofthedark.typepad.com/blog/

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/OlympusE410/

Rooz
05-29-2007, 01:27 PM
why are you only limiting your choice to these 2 ?

Jip
05-30-2007, 01:38 AM
because i get the most bang for the buck with these 2..

i kinda don't like Canon.. i like nikon but they are really expensive over here. and if i buy a nikon it will be the D80..

the sony is good but i like the pentax better..

the samsung i like because it's the same as the pentax.. but it has a few drawbacks if u compare it with the pentax..

fiuji film S5 pro i can't afford :)

and i like the olympus because it's not that expesive and u get a really nice cam.. (with the latest features)

but i'm gonna wait until there are reviews about the E-510.. and compare them with the pentax!.. the E-510 has to be really really good..if the people of olympus want me to buy it :D