PDA

View Full Version : G7 vs. S3

lyonfille
05-23-2007, 12:43 PM
Hi, Canon G7 vs. S3. Any comments?

TooMuchButtHair
05-23-2007, 06:28 PM
Well, what the heck are you going to use it for? The S3 has a nice 12x opitcal zoom, which is pretty nice...but unless you give the guys around here a little more to go on, they won't be able to help you. I do believe the sucessor the the S3, the S5, is coming out in July, so you might want to wait for that and give it a look.

danielg
05-23-2007, 07:15 PM
I have the chance to own both camera. IQ seems to be pretty much even with a very very slight advantage going to the G7 because of its slightly larger sensor.

The G7 has a better built, real solid feel to it. It has a hot shoe which is useful if you want to use an external flash. I love the thumbwheel at the back which makes adjusting settings a real joy. The down side is that is has a shorter focal length and a less than ideal ergometrics. I placed egrips on mine and it made a world of difference when holding /gripping the camera.

The S3is has a better grip/ergometrics, longer and faster lens and a superb movie mode along with that ever useful swivel LCD. I sold my S3is when I got my 30D but bought the G7 because I want something "relatively pocketable" to bring along with manual control so far I like the G7 very much!! So I guess it all boils down to your needs and the type of shots you like to take. If you need a longer zoom and a better movie mode along with the swivel screen then go for the S3is on the otherhand if you dont need that long a zoom and want something really solid and relatively smaller with a better LCD and a hotshoe then the G7 is your choice. either way you win :)