PDA

View Full Version : 400D/XTi;which lens (Canon 17-85 IS USM, Sigma 17-70 f/2.8)

hbkscotia
05-22-2007, 02:41 AM
I've decided to enter the DSLR world by buying an EOS 400D/XTi. Rather than waste money on what I've read isn't a great kit lens I'm trying to decide between the following for a general purpose lens:

Canon EF-S 17-85 f/4-5.6 IS USM
Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4.5 DC Macro

Most of my photos will be of my children (a two-year old and, later this year, a baby). I mainly want to get portrait photos with nice bokeh, even when taken indoors with no flash (as well as general photos, e.g. trips to the park).

I don't plan on taking many macro photos - it's the f/2.8 rating on the Sigma lens that's attractive to me, since I believe that will give better portraits/bokeh than an f/4 setting.

The Canon lens is c. $130 more, but if the image quality for the type of photos I take will be better I'm willing to pay that.

(Maybe rather than the Sigma an alternative is to get the Canon 17-85 f/4-5.6 IS USM and, for portraits, the Canon 50mm f/1.8, though I've read the latter lens might not be so great?)

Grateful for any advice from you more experienced users.

Heather

(Sorry if this is in the wrong Forum. I couldn't see a separate "Which lens should I buy" section...)

timmciglobal
05-22-2007, 02:58 AM
I'd say it's better in the "canon dslr" forum but as far as portraits go you should know low light without flash usable requires faster then f2.8 but I'd look into the tamron 17>50 F2.8 over the sigma.

Tim