PDA

View Full Version : Concert camera on a budget...

bralph
05-21-2007, 12:10 PM
Budget

* I would prefer to stay under $500.00 after buying any extras (like memory)

Size

* Size is not an issue

Features

I would like at least 6+ megapixels.

* Optical zoom is very important, so at least Ultrazoom = 10x-12x

* How important is ďimage qualityĒ to you? Iím not looking to be a professional photographer, but I would like decent quality photos for my own use, so I would say 8/10.

Do you care for manual controls? As long as theyíre not too complicated, as I stated, Iím not a pro photographer.

General Usage

* I will mostly be using this camera for concerts. Iím not going to be any bands photographer or anything, but I go to a lot of concerts; indoor and outdoor shows; big and small venues and I would like to be able to take some decent quality pictures for memories. Some venues allow flash some donít, but the main thing is the camera canít use interchangeable lenses. These are considered ďprofessionalĒ and most venues donít allow them.

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not? I doubt it.

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos? Yes. Many of the concerts are outdoors and many have low light.

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos? Iím not sure if a live band would be considered ďaction photosĒ

Miscellaneous

Are there particular brands you like or hate? Iím open to any brands, but Iíve had good experiences and lean toward Fuji.

Are there particular models you already have in mind? Iíve heard good things about the Fuji FinePix 7.1 and the price keeps it in my budget, even after buying memory, etc...

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD)ÖIím not even sure what Hotshoe is, but Image Stabilization would be important.

surfstar
05-21-2007, 01:49 PM
Long zoom and some need for indoor = Fuji S6000. 10.7x zoom, starting at 28mm, which is VERY hard to find. Plus it takes great pics up to ISO 800.

Only downside is no image stabilization. Read some reviews on this camera, though, as I think it will fit your requirements pretty well.

bralph
05-23-2007, 08:00 PM
Thanks for the info. That does look like a very nice camera. It's more than the FinePix 7.1, what makes the S6000 worth the extra money? Sorry, I'm not too knowledgeable on cameras.

tim11
05-23-2007, 11:01 PM
What exactly is Fuji FinePix 7.1?
I second S6000fd recommendation. It's simply the best non-DSLR money can buy for low light situations right now. It offer excellent photos for concert, providing you don't expect National Geographic magazine quality; but surely for family album no point-n-shoot camera comes close to it.

moreno_iv
05-24-2007, 07:02 AM
Yeah man, I posted a very similar request to yours a little while back and got the same kind of response. So, I bought myself one of these little beauties and I have been very impressed with it. Not only does it shoot well in low-light situations, but it has many, many other features that make it worth while. Plus, the price is really unbeatable for the feature set that you get.

Check out this thread in the Fuji forum to get an idea of what kind of pictures you can get with it:

S6000fd Picture Thread (http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26764)

bralph
05-26-2007, 11:43 AM
Thanks for all of the info, after reading up on these forums and checking some reviews I'm definitly going with the s6000. I'm glad I asked instead of just running down to the store and buying the first camera I came across. The s6000 seems like a great camera for the price. Thanks again for all the help! Oh, and the finepix 7.1 is the fuji s700.