PDA

View Full Version : Getting my first DSLR...Some Questions

MattH1121
05-21-2007, 11:23 AM
Alright, first off, I'm not entirely new to dslr's. I taught Advanced Photography during my student teaching this spring using Rebel XTs, and I've shot 35mm SLRs for a while now. I'm just out of college, and I'm ready to settle down on my own DSLR. I'm in a bit of a situation, however, on what camera to choose. I liked the XTs we used during my student teaching, but I've read more positives on the Nikon line of cameras (particularly image/glass quality). I'm looking at the Nikon D50 only for the reason that I can get a nice Kit setup for around $600-$700 (1-2 lenses, card, etc). I know it's only a 6mp which is what worries me. I doubt I will ever make prints larger than 8x10 FOR NOW, so it may not be an issue. I really don't want to spend upwards of $1000+ for a D80 right now, but would it be beneficial to just wait a while and save even more money and just get the D80, or will I be fine with the D50? Or am I overlooking another option you guys may know of? For now, all the photography will be for personal use (no professional photography yet), but I do intend to get into wedding photography, and some freelance outdoor photography on the side eventually, so this is also why I am thinking the D50 may not be a bad option. Any input would be great.

toriaj
05-21-2007, 07:09 PM
If you liked the Rebel, try out the Digital Rebel, just in case. All the cameras are good ones -- the most important thing is the way that it feels to _you._ Go to the store and play with the cameras! The D50 is a good choice, so is the D80.

I wouldn't worry about the mp issue -- the only time I wish I had more is when I want to do a major crop (30% or more) to magnify the subject. And the truth is, that the better shots are done with focal lengths that match the situation anyway.