PDA

View Full Version : What camera for a newb to photography

suttle4vols
05-20-2007, 03:10 PM
Newb to digital camera's and photography. I have had a Canon S1 for a while now and have sold it to get a new camera. I have always wanted a DSLR but am afraid it might be overkill for me. I have been doing some research and have come to the conclusion that the following might be good cameras for me but I am unsure as a lot of the terminology is foriegn to me. I have always used just the S1 and have loved the pics I was able to get with it. I almost always left things on "auto" but with the next camera I want to have room to grow and learn. I want to become a better photographer and learn more about the hobby. With all of that being said here is the list of camera's I came up with. What do you guys think or suggest.

Canon S5
Panasonic FZ50
-------
Canon XT
Canon XTi
Nikon D40
Nikon D40x

If I missed one that would be better for me please suggest.

Thanks for helping this newb

Thanks,
Dale

toriaj
05-20-2007, 09:21 PM
Don't worry about the DSLR being overkill. If you want to take your photography further, a DSLR is a great choice! And usually gives you more creative control than a point-and-shoot. I am not familiar with the first two cameras you listed, but the DSLRs you listed are all good. One thing to be aware of on the D40 is that only a limited (rather expensive) selection of lenses will autofocus on the D40 body. That does not make it a bad choice, you just need to understand what it will mean. If you'd like another Nikon to compare, the D80 is the current model, and the D50 is the older model.

Beyond that, go to the store and play with the cameras! See which one feels best to you. In the end, that is more important than all the online research you can do.

suttle4vols
05-23-2007, 08:38 AM
Thanks for the help.

What are you guys opinions on these cameras? I have narrowed it down to the following. Canon 350/400, S5is, Sony dSLR. Whis is the better option. Are the lenses on the Sony cheaper in cost? Which is the better glass?

Thanks,
Dale