PDA

View Full Version : FZ8 vs S3

lyonfille
05-20-2007, 02:54 PM
Hi, I'm wondering whether or not noise is that much of an issue on the FZ8 as everyone says. I really like both cameras, but I'm worried about noise issues. Has anyone noticed a difference between the noise levels on these two cameras? Also, are the LCD and EVF really a problem on the S3? I tested it at a store, what about in action? Does the lens cap really fall off? How is the movie mode on the FZ8? Thank you.

Visual Reality
05-20-2007, 03:41 PM
The only things I don't like about the EVF on my S3 are:

1. Not bright enough
2. Not the best resolution

However, it didn't stop me from maxing out a 4gb SD card and moving onto another yesterday...and it saves battery life by keeping the main LCD off and closed. Its often too bright outside to see it anyway, which is the main reason I didn't use it much.

A big plus to an EVF though is that what you see is the same as what you get. Not true with an optical viewfinder, at least the ones I have used. What you see is the same as what will show on the main LCD, and is the same as the final image.

The lens cap - it never fell off on me, but you have to understand why its designed the way it is. If it were a snap-on type, the lens would smash into it when you turn the camera on. And trust me you WILL forget to take the cap off and have the lens push the cap off for you, making you realize why it is that way. If you get an adapter to fit on a filter this is not an issue because you can then get a snap-on style lens cap.

lyonfille
05-21-2007, 05:14 PM
What about the noise issue? Thanks, any feedback is much appreciated.

Visual Reality
05-21-2007, 06:38 PM
I can't comment on the FZ8 but with the S3 you can turn the sharpness and contrast down so the camera is doing minimal processing on the image. I prefer it this way because I post-process everything. Maybe the FZ8 does the same and the high noise is due to it not doing noise reduction like most compact cameras?

lyonfille
05-22-2007, 02:35 PM
Anyone else have either of these cameras?