PDA

View Full Version : Old GE charger new Energizer 2500mAh

dnust1
02-07-2007, 04:55 PM
I have an old GE charger for use with GC1 Nicad batteries. I just bought a pack of 4 Energizer 2500mAh batteries. I read that you can use an old manual type charger to charge these as long as you can calculate the correct charge time. I found an online calculator, the only trouble is I cannot find the mA rating for this old charger. The only part numbers on the charger say MA1 module for GC1 batteries. I plan on purchasing a new charger when I can afford one but can I safely use this one until then and how can I find the mA of my old charger?

canon_A620
02-07-2007, 08:50 PM
I have an old GE charger for use with GC1 Nicad batteries. I just bought a pack of 4 Energizer 2500mAh batteries. I read that you can use an old manual type charger to charge these as long as you can calculate the correct charge time. I found an online calculator, the only trouble is I cannot find the mA rating for this old charger. The only part numbers on the charger say MA1 module for GC1 batteries. I plan on purchasing a new charger when I can afford one but can I safely use this one until then and how can I find the mA of my old charger? Do you have your charger's model number?

dnust1
02-08-2007, 04:08 PM
It must be really old because I can't find any information on the GE website. This information is on the charger but I don't know how to interpret it. "Output at battery: 2.9/5.8/8.7 VDC and 75/120/12 mA" I didn't notice this at time of posting because it was on the side where it was plugged in. I put the highest number "120" into the online calculator and it said 25 hours, so I don't think that I'm doing it right.

troop
02-11-2007, 08:10 AM
Heck, I'd just go to the local Malmart and pick up a charger/4 pack AA battery combo for $8. Then you know you have a current charger and extra batteries.. Troop

oj88
02-11-2007, 05:13 PM
As far as I can tell, you should never use a charger intended for NiCd batteries to charge NiMH batteries (and vice versa) UNLESS, the charger is specified to be able to automatically or manually (through a switch) charge both battery chemistries.

Besides the dangers of batteries giving of noxious gases to a potential explosion, your batteries' life would certainly decrease if you use an improper charger. I'll have to agree with troop that you get one of the newer chargers specifically for NiMH batteries. Modern fast/quick chargers can fully and properly charge a 2700mAh AA cell in as fast as 15mins to 1 hr.

Just recently, I bought a Sanyo NC-MQR03 Quick Charger with "Refresh" function.