PDA

View Full Version : cheap nikon dslr?

firstdigital
01-21-2007, 11:05 PM
Hi guys!
I plan on purchasing my first DSLR which of course will be a Nikon. I was shopping around when i came upon this one listed on ebay as new http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Nikon-D70s-D...QQcmdZViewItem can anyone tell me as to why this kit is so much cheaper. I cant understand how the seller can sell the camera with so much accessories for such a low price. I informed one of my good friends about this and he said that the camera body itself may not have been made in the U.S.A. but imported. could this be true? and if it was imported will there be any quality issues? I have never had a DSLR so any opinions to this matter would be appreciated. thanks

rawpaw18
01-22-2007, 04:19 AM
The link would not come up.
It could be imported, which means no usa warranty.
Could be a scam, can never no for sure. Check the
Where to buy threads on this forum for some reputable
places to purchase your camera.

britkev
01-22-2007, 06:11 AM
You won't find any Nikon camera bodies "made in USA" - most Nikons these days are made in Thailand, although some of the higher end ones are still made in japan, I believe...

Your friend is referring to "gray market" imports: these are cameras or accessories imported to the 'States by companies other than the official distributor, Nikon USA - they are almost always exactly the same item, but you will not get any kind of warranty service from Nikon USA on such items - for a comparitively big ticket item with lots of things that can possibly go wrong, like a digital body, I would caution against taking such a risk - the savings are not usually that significant...

Be it eBay, or any on-line retailer, "buyer beware" is the key phrase: if a price seems too good to be true it usually is. Check the sellers feedback, or check the retailer at resellerratings.com

JREMKE
01-22-2007, 12:33 PM
Check out Cameta cameras. I have purchased three bodies, lens and flash units from them with zero problems. Also I would like to re-submit a thread from a couple of months ago. Put a UV filter on all of your lens. Came back from a cruise and found residue from salt water spray that was on these filters. This saved valuable lenes from this.

jcon
01-22-2007, 12:54 PM
Put a UV filter on all of your lens.

Thats personal preference. To the OP, as it relates to filters, I suggest you do research and comparisons and determine if wasting money on filters is something YOU want to do. Just because someone tells you to doesnt mean you should.

If you plan to buy off the net, read this thread...

http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14677

There are alot of frauds out there and the work put into the above thread is very useful!

JREMKE
01-22-2007, 01:29 PM
jcon - I see your from Wisconsin. So am I. But, protecting your lens has been a staple for a long time. Nikon in the 70's use to stress the protection of your lens with a filter. Regarding buying from the internet, never had a problem and I don't worry about waranties as most are not even worth the paper they are on. I've been a professional photographer for 37 years. And you?

britkev
01-22-2007, 01:46 PM
.... Nikon in the 70's use to stress the protection of your lens with a filter....

As do lots of other companies that make money from selling filters :rolleyes: (keen amateur for the same period of time, give or take a year or two)

jcon
01-22-2007, 03:33 PM
jcon - I see your from Wisconsin. So am I. But, protecting your lens has been a staple for a long time. Nikon in the 70's use to stress the protection of your lens with a filter. Regarding buying from the internet, never had a problem and I don't worry about waranties as most are not even worth the paper they are on. I've been a professional photographer for 37 years. And you?

I have been a photographer for about 7 years, and your point? Oh wait I get it, because I havent been a "pro" aslong as you, that means my opinions and research dont mean anything compared to yours?:(

Like I said, its a personal preference, some want the filters and some dont. Its been argued on here and many other places, thats why I suggested for the OP to do his or her own research and make the decision for themself, not based on someone just telling them to do so. Just because you use your camera in not so safe weather enviroments doesnt mean every other person will. Opinions are fine, but dont try to force them onto others simply because it worked for you.

SpecialK
01-22-2007, 03:33 PM
For those who want all sides of the filter/no filter argument, here is the extensive post.

http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27381

jcon
01-22-2007, 03:49 PM
Thanks for hunting down that thread, SpecialK. That will be helpfull to the OP to decide on his/her own. As apposed to someone simply stating "Put a UV filter on your lenses":D

Prospero
01-22-2007, 04:07 PM

I don't agree with your view on the waranties. There are quite some members on this forum who have had there Nikon fixed under warranty. Examples are the members with a D70 who got the green blinking light of death issue and I believe Jcon is also getting his D50 repared due to sensor issues under warranty (while his D50's warranty has even expired already). So, in my opinion the warranty is definitly worth it, and I would therefore recommend buying at a place where you will get the warranty.

Also, I don't see the relevance of mentioning your experience in your post. This is the internet, anybody can claim to be a professional press photographer with a lifetime of experience. Now, don't get me wrong, I am not saying you are lying. I just don't put much stock in using experience as an argument (and frankly find doing that somewhat arrogant).

jcon
01-22-2007, 04:15 PM
Well said Prospero! Its a D50 though:p but yes, they are repairing it for free eventhough the warranty had expired 3 days earlier,lol. I spoke to a few techs at Nikon Service and they said they are uaully pretty good with that sort of thing.

It will be here tomorrow too, BTW :D :D

Prospero
01-22-2007, 04:23 PM
Well said Prospero! Its a D50 though:p but yes, they are repairing it for free eventhough the warranty had expired 3 days earlier,lol. I spoke to a few techs at Nikon Service and they said they are uaully pretty good with that sort of thing.

It will be here tomorrow too, BTW :D :D

Thanks. I have fixed the mistake, sorry about that :D. So your camera is already back tomorrow; that's pretty quick. I hope it will be as good as new.

tcadwall
01-23-2007, 06:23 AM
I know this is off topic... Sorry in advance... but. It isn't worth a new thread. - REALLY - to my fellow photographers I apologize in advance for "spending" bits in this manner, but I have a rant coming...

I don't consider myself a pro. I make money with my camera, but it doesn't make me a pro. However, I try to contribute as well as receive valuable input from this board.

That said, there are certain users, that I just wonder why they are so arrogant, yet they aren't contributing anything of substance. One such user boasting of his many years of experience, has offered such valueable advice... Why is everyone jumping all over him... Advice that goes so deep. Like at least 13 posts about why someone should purchase a refurb. camera. At least 7 posts that recommend / insist on lens protection. Several posts that talk about dropped cameras. One post that recommends a grip (that holds up to a drop). And one invaluable piece of advice to try the reset button.

I used to think I had to have lens protection on my lens. When I really started researching it, I came to a different conclusion. Now I use a (very expensive) UV filter only during shooting circumstances that demand protection. And yes, I would consider salt-water exposure one of those situations where I would slap one on.

In any case, I just think that people that claim so much experience could be more valuable to this community if they would contribute when others are asking questions about how to's, and what do you think of this - type questions.

So this is a challenge to those of you - and you know who you are. Help the rest of the board that have less experience than you by contributing in ways that are more beneficial to their photography experience than where to buy a camera, or whether to buy used, or whether to use a filter for protection. There are so many other uses for filters, why not start a thread with examples on how you have used filters for effect for instance?

Ok, rant over, you may continue....

JREMKE
01-23-2007, 10:09 AM
Phew............. Didn't mean to stir up a hornets nest! Many good points are well taken, but, please, don't get defensive. Photography is suppose to be enjoyable. No rants, no raves, just have a great day! Try it, you might like it!

jcon
01-23-2007, 11:08 AM
I agree with everything you said Tcacwall. I can only speak for myself and why I am here, and that is to learn things I dont know and ask questions when I need help and to offer what ive learned to others when they ask for advice/help or whatever. There are alot of great memebers here, most I have learned ALOT from, even going back to my Panasonic days. I hope people read what you said and that they take it to heart :D

Got my camera back, I am off to snap....snap....snap....

eduardofrances
01-23-2007, 12:16 PM
Hi guys!
I plan on purchasing my first DSLR which of course will be a Nikon. I was shopping around when i came upon this one listed on ebay as new http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Nikon-D70s-D...QQcmdZViewItem can anyone tell me as to why this kit is so much cheaper. I cant understand how the seller can sell the camera with so much accessories for such a low price. I informed one of my good friends about this and he said that the camera body itself may not have been made in the U.S.A. but imported. could this be true? and if it was imported will there be any quality issues? I have never had a DSLR so any opinions to this matter would be appreciated. thanks

I wouldn't trust ebay with a Digital SLR camera -I would only trust ebay for cheapo things maybe-... www.bhphotovideo.com www.buyding.com and www.keh.com are stores I have used without a problem, they are reputable dealers and you know with who you are dealing, they will honor guarantees even with gray market products -with ebay it would be hard if any problem arises since you don't know the dealer, he can escape when the transaction is over-