PDA

View Full Version : Third party battery review for 20D,30D,etc.

Voyager13b
12-31-2006, 04:13 PM
A few weeks ago, I ordered some batteries from a site running an ad on Amazon (Calcellular). They offered BP-511A replacement batteries for a little less than nine Dollars each. Sounded too good to be true, but the company claims that they are top grade Japanese made cells in China cases, and that they are a true 1500mAH battery.

OK, I ordered four batteries, and two chargers. The chargers were less than fifteen bucks each, and came with a car plug accessory, which my Canon chargers do not have. If I threw away my money, at least it wasn't much to begin with. The order arrived on schedule a little more than a week ago, and I have been hammering the batteries to death in my 2 30D bodies to give them a full test workout ever since.

Except for the lack of a molded in Canon logo, they look and feel identical in every way, including the color and type of plastic used in the case and storage cap. The new batteries are a few grams heavier than the Canon 511A, but that makes sense, as they are rated with a little more capacity than the Canon (1500 vs 1390).

The result to date is that the new cheap batteries last significantly longer than the Canon battery (I have to work hard to discharge either one in a day), and otherwise work the same as the Canon battery. I had planned to use Canon batteries as my primary power source for both 30D bodies, and just use the cheap batteries as backup on a long shoot, or on vacation. The results have been so good though, that I just cycle through the stack of six batteries as I need them.

The reason for the post is that some people have had problems with some brands of cheap aftermarket batteries. In this case, the batteries shipped to me were exactly as advertised. If you are looking for a spare battery or two, give this brand a try. You can buy six of these, and have change left over from the cost of a single Canon battery of less capacity.