PDA

View Full Version : L1 in Toronto

Bill Markwick
10-01-2006, 11:51 AM
Dealers in Toronto now have stock of the Panasonic L1 DSLR. It's $2399.99 at Henry's, $2350 at Aden Camera, and $2399 at Vistek. I searched in vain for other Leica lenses for it.

I'd be really interested to see from reviews if it justifies its high price, especially since the sensor is only 4/3.

Regards,
Bill

coldrain
10-01-2006, 02:39 PM
The price is not so high at all, look up what an XTi with EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS USM costs.

There are two reviews linked to in the other thread.

CptOfGondor
10-01-2006, 07:10 PM
Coldrain is right. A huge factor into the cost is the lens. Pretty good apertures, Lieca, larger than normal focal length range, OIS. Many say that the lens itself would cost around $1000 or maybe a bit more.

Bill Markwick
10-02-2006, 08:30 AM
A huge factor into the cost is the lens.

So everyone keeps saying, but I'm not sold on that in the least. The 12:1 Leica in my FZ20 is very good, but the entire camera is under $700. A tiny increase in diameter with a reduction in zoom length justifies almost four times the price? Where, exactly, are the benefits of the smaller 4/3 system?

And while everyone else in the world is going to 10MP with a crop factor of 1.5 or 1.6, the L1 is 7.5MP and a crop factor of 2. I'll have to be convinced by results - it'll have to produce the same quality as the larger cameras everyone keeps comparing it to.

And I daresay not one of you has actually used the L1.

Regards,
Bill

coldrain
10-02-2006, 08:48 AM
The lens of an FZ20 is in no way comparable, not in optical quality, not in weight, not in size. You must be joking, a "slight increase in diameter".

I have never used a Canon 1Ds MK II either, yet I know it is a very good camera. Since when are we back at the "you have to have used it untill you can have a founded opinion" arguement? Weird.

tim11
10-03-2006, 06:05 PM
Bill, have you seen L1 image samples in this thread?
http://www.photoxels.com/panasonic-l1-photo-gallery.html#
Click on the larger image to see full size.
FZ20 is a good PnS camera but I wouldn't compare it to L1. As Coldrain keeps saying, the camera body is comparable to other SLR in its class and the lens add to the total cost of the whole setup. Whether you want to get such lens is a different matter.