PDA

View Full Version : Slight error in your FZ20 news announcement

John_Reed
07-22-2004, 05:10 PM
Jeff, it seems that the (equivalent) zoom range of the 12X FZ20 isn't 35-420mm, it's 36-432mm. I think that's also true of the FZ15, but I'm not sure, haven't seen the FZ15's specs. So they gave up a silly millimeter of wideangle to gain 12mm of telephoto. :D

Jake Conner
07-22-2004, 08:37 PM
Also, the FZ3 isnt a lower res version of the other two, it's a totally different, smaller camera with fewer manual controls.

Jake

Jeff Keller
07-22-2004, 09:01 PM
Also, the FZ3 isnt a lower res version of the other two, it's a totally different, smaller camera with fewer manual controls.

Jake

What manual controls is it missing besides manual focus?

John_Reed
07-22-2004, 11:15 PM
What manual controls is it missing besides manual focus?
Looking at the specs (http://panasonic.co.jp/pavc/global/lumix/fz3/specifications.html), I think that manual focus was the only "manual" control that was missing; the FZ3 also has an AF illuminator, can shoot continuously at a high rate (ala Kyocera) until the memory card is full, and can store 7 full res frames in the "burst" mode at 4 frames/second. Like the FZ15, the FZ3 has no hot shoe. (unlike the FZ10 and FZ20) It looks like a pretty sweet little camera; a little smaller than the old FZ1, but packing a lot more capability and resolution into a cheaper package at $399 MSRP. Progress!

D70FAN
07-23-2004, 06:41 AM
The FZ3 appears to be the perfect consumer digicam. Hopefully the proof will be in the pictures. Adding AF Illumination just put this camera on my gotta-test list.

Jeff, any idea of when you might get one of these for your testing pleasure?

Rhys
07-23-2004, 06:58 AM
The FZ3 appears to be the perfect consumer digicam. Hopefully the proof will be in the pictures. Adding AF Illumination just put this camera on my gotta-test list.

Jeff, any idea of when you might get one of these for your testing pleasure?

Your "gotta-test list"? Does this mean that the D70 has fallen from favour?

I'm thinking of selling my Nikon MF kit and maybe getting D300 and EOS 300 with 35-70, 70-210 and the equivalent for the D300 to cover 35-70 ish.

*Congratulations to myself on my 100th posting*

jeffysno
07-23-2004, 08:24 AM
Is the FZ3 the only one of the new group to have AF assist feature? I haven't seen any specs on any of them. What are the main differences between the 10, 15 and 20?

D70FAN
07-23-2004, 09:06 AM
Your "gotta-test list"? Does this mean that the D70 has fallen from favour?

I'm thinking of selling my Nikon MF kit and maybe getting D300 and EOS 300 with 35-70, 70-210 and the equivalent for the D300 to cover 35-70 ish.

*Congratulations to myself on my 100th posting*

Nope. It's as favoured as ever, but I really like the Panasonic offering for those wanting a long-zoom all-in-one. And I actually run some very basic tests on the cameras I recommend to other people.

Selling the MF kit is probably a good idea. I haven't touched my FE or Minota 3si for about a year, and then only to make sure that they still work. The FE has some sentimental value, so chances are that I will have it stuffed and mounted. ;)

I won't comment on the D300 decision, other than to ask if you have played around with one? Then tried a D70, the differences are striking, and you should quickly realize why the D70 kit costs more. But all-in-all, the 300D is better than most all-in-ones.

Only 100? You must be slowing down. ;)

Jake Conner
07-23-2004, 09:11 AM
Lower case jeff: I think they all have AF assist, and they all have the new improved burst mode. Upper case Jeff: I think the FZ3 is missing full manual mode, like the FZ2. It does have aperture and shutter priority, though.

Jake

D70FAN
07-23-2004, 09:27 AM
Lower case jeff: I think they all have AF assist, and they all have the new improved burst mode. Upper case Jeff: I think the FZ3 is missing full manual mode, like the FZ2. It does have aperture and shutter priority, though.

Jake

I think the spec lists AP, SP, AND manual. Is this a limited manual mode? Again it will be interesting to see what the full blown Jeff-test reveals.

Rhys
07-23-2004, 10:43 AM
Nope. It's as favoured as ever, but I really like the Panasonic offering for those wanting a long-zoom all-in-one. And I actually run some very basic tests on the cameras I recommend to other people.

Selling the MF kit is probably a good idea. I haven't touched my FE or Minota 3si for about a year, and then only to make sure that they still work. The FE has some sentimental value, so chances are that I will have it stuffed and mounted. ;)

I won't comment on the D300 decision, other than to ask if you have played around with one? Then tried a D70, the differences are striking, and you should quickly realize why the D70 kit costs more. But all-in-all, the 300D is better than most all-in-ones.

Only 100? You must be slowing down. ;)

Well, my decision on the Canon is based on the fact that Canons are cheaper than Nikons. Also, the Canon AF lenses are universal - what'll fit the EOS will fit the D300. In my ideal world, I'll have both a D300 and an EOS 300. I gather the EOS 300 is the lightest of the Canon film SLRs which is why it'll be so handy as a backup.

Of course, since I'm soon (I believe) to receive a Canon S1, maybe the whole idea might be on hold for a while. I suspect the S1 might satisfy my moderate needs for the moment.

I like the idea of a rugged mechanical camera that'll do anything, anywhere which is why I love my FMs. Sadly, now, I think more of lightweight and convenience than I did back then. They with their MD12s are just a little heavy.

I haven't played with any Canons for 10 years but I will soon. I seem to be downsizing - got rid of my old car by chance today. Enquiring how much my Nikons are worth. I figure the Tamron lenses are worth so little I might as well keep them and fit an EOS adaptal 2 mount.