PDA

View Full Version : XD/MMC Cards: any special considerations?

Argelius
11-13-2004, 03:35 PM
I am planning on getting a Konica Minolta Z3 which uses XD/MMC cards.

As my previous cameras have all used CF cards, I don't know anything about XD and MMC cards.

Are there any factors I should consider when purchasing a card (other than the capacity).

Thanks.

kgosden
11-13-2004, 08:15 PM
First of all the Konica/Minoltas use SD not xD cards. xD cards are currently only used by Olympus and Fuji. SD and MMC cards are generally compatible. SD came after MMC and all SD enabled devices can read MMC as well. SD stands for Secure Digital. They are basically MMC (Multi-Media Cards) with two extra contacts that enable digiatl rights management functions in some MP3 players.

In every case that I have seen SD cards are substantially faster than MMC cards. This is even true in my fairly old Minolta DimageX. Stick to SD cards only and you will be fine. 1GB SD cards are getting as low as $55 after rebates, etc. I have had very few problems with any particular brand.

Argelius
11-14-2004, 04:47 AM
Thanks for your help. And honest, I did know I'll need an SD and not an xD card. Not sure why I didn't seem to know that while I was typing my post...

:o