PDA

View Full Version : Minolta SRT 102 lenses and new Digi Cameras

Mick Kozmick
07-27-2006, 09:09 AM
Greetings:

New here...first post.

I've got several Minolta 35mm SRT 1xx bodies(ca 1970's) with 4 great Rokor lenses including a killer 100mm.

I've been shooting digital now with a Canon 5.1MP...great for point and shoot...nice compact convenient cam...makes nice pix.

But I'm going to be shooting a lot of stills for a vid documentary and need more control ie, DoF etc...

Is there a Digital body out there min. 6MP that will accept my legacy Minolta lenses?

Thanks very.

Mick

coldrain
07-27-2006, 05:56 PM
There are adapters to be found for different old lens mount systems for modern AF mount systems. You will mostly find then for Canon, Olympus and Pentax. Maybe you can even find one for the KM AF mount (now used by Sony for their Alpha DSLR).

Take into account though that there are a number of problems: Aperture will be seta nd closed while looking through the lens, making the view dark when you set the aperture. Manula focussing is harder on a APS-C DSLR, since the viewfinder lacks the splitviews found on manual SLRs due to the interference those give with AF systems. The view is also a lot smaller there the sensor also is a lot smaller than 35mm film.

The lenses you have may or may not be worth the trouble, modern primes most of the time do perform a bit better than those of the 70's (there are exceptions of course). And a 100mm lens will be a 150mm lens on a KM, a 160mm lens on a Canon and a 200mm lens on an Olympus (at least where field of view is concerned) due to the crop factor.

One interesting option could be the Canon EOS 5D will suitable adapter, there the 5D has optional focus screens, which will help manual focussing, and is full frame 35mm, making manual focussing a lot easier.

But then again, the 5D costs a lot more than a Canon EOS 350D or 20D, and that money you could have spent on nice modern day lenses that do offer AF.

Mick Kozmick
07-27-2006, 06:16 PM
You make some excellent points against trying to salvage the situation-law of diminishing returns...probably better off shooting film with the legacy cams and scanning the image in...

I note that you are shooting Canon...you're impression of Canon in general and the XT entry level digi?

Thanks again.

Mick

coldrain
07-27-2006, 06:38 PM
Well, my impression of Canon is that they make some really good cameras and lenses. The sensors they use perform very well (only the sensors used by Sigma and Fuji are better in areas), and their lens line up is top dog. This does not mean that you can not find nice DSLR/lens combinations from other makes of course, but my preference on the moment goes to Canon EOS cameras.

I get accused (by fan boys of other makes) to be a Canon fan boy, but that is a bit beside the truth. I used to be a Nikon guy, my dad had a Nikon.. that is why. But Nikon with their elitist nonsense and their to me a bit disappointing products lost me as customer for now (for lost of years already actually).