PDA

View Full Version : Tevion brand card reader

propwash
11-10-2004, 10:37 PM
Has anyone heard of a brand called Tevion? A local store is offering a card reader that will read eight types of media: Compact Flash I & II, SD/MMC, smart media, micro drive, Memory Stick and Memory Stick Pro. This is listed as a USB 2.0 reader, so I'm hoping it will be pretty fast. The good part is that it's only $10, so I think I don't have too much to lose. Believe it or not, this is at a store that sells primarily groceries, but they have weekly specials on other things as well. Last summer, from the same store, I bought a Pioneer 5-disc DVD player (carousel drawer) for $68. The thing has worked flawlessly, so I have sort of concluded that they do sell some first rate merchandise. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has heard of this particular brand. Thanks.

propwash
11-17-2004, 07:54 PM
Nobody responded to the first post, but I went ahead and bought the thing anyway! For the most part, it seems to work well. My old SD reader shows up as a removable drive "G" when I check "My Computer." This new one shows up as four different drives: G (compact flash), H (memory stick), I (SD/MMC) and J (smart media). I was surprised that all four show up separately, but I guess it makes sense. This way I can transfer files between the different media formats.

This card also appears to be a lot faster than my old USB 1 card reader, which is much faster than plugging the camera into the USB port. It's small and easily transportable and gives me a lot more options. Certainly worth the ten bucks!

D70FAN
11-17-2004, 09:01 PM
Nobody responded to the first post, but I went ahead and bought the thing anyway! For the most part, it seems to work well. My old SD reader shows up as a removable drive "G" when I check "My Computer." This new one shows up as four different drives: G (compact flash), H (memory stick), I (SD/MMC) and J (smart media). I was surprised that all four show up separately, but I guess it makes sense. This way I can transfer files between the different media formats.

This card also appears to be a lot faster than my old USB 1 card reader, which is much faster than plugging the camera into the USB port. It's small and easily transportable and gives me a lot more options. Certainly worth the ten bucks!

Not a bad deal. I think no one answered because we have no idea of the brand. As you said for 10 bucks who cares. As long as it works. Truely mazin'

jbird
01-01-2005, 09:11 PM
I also bought a Tevion card reader (8 in 1) at Aldi's. I heard actually it was a very good brand from an IT person. I made the mistake of cutting through the CD that contained the software to load it. Could you share your loading software with me? Or have any idea where I can download a copy on the web?

Thanks,

JBird

Tony Henry
01-05-2005, 05:07 PM
Can anyone tell me if this device is Mac compatible?
THenry

propwash
01-07-2005, 10:15 AM
I also bought a Tevion card reader (8 in 1) at Aldi's. I heard actually it was a very good brand from an IT person. I made the mistake of cutting through the CD that contained the software to load it. Could you share your loading software with me? Or have any idea where I can download a copy on the web?

Thanks,

JBird

Sorry it took so long for me to get back to you. I can't locate my card right now. Actually, I never used it, because I'm using Windows Me. According to the paperwork, you need to use the CD to install drivers for Win 89/98SE/2000, and also for Mac. If you have Win ME or XP, then installation of drivers is not necessary. I'll keep looking for the disc. What OS are you using?

propwash
01-07-2005, 10:18 AM
Can anyone tell me if this device is Mac compatible?
THenry

According to the manual, it is compatable with Mac OS 9.X and Mac OS 10.0.
It looks like for 9.X you will need to use the CD to install drivers, and for 10.0 it will autodetect the card reader.
Hope this helps.

kellogghill
01-18-2005, 07:54 AM

Propwash,

My wife bought me one of these card readers at Aldi's Foods for Christmas. I have only used it once and it seemed to work alright. It downloaded slower that my Canon 20D. However I didn't get any instructions with it. Did you, and if you did could you give me an address to write for some?

Thanks

Don

propwash
01-18-2005, 10:47 AM
Don,

Here is what's written on my paperwork:

Schenker, Inc.
Chicago Branch
Traveler Service Center
123 Sivert Court
Bensenville, IL 60106

Tel. 1-800-787-2368

You really don't need any instructions for Win Me or XP. It's just a matter of plugging the reader into the computer. Windows should automatically recognize the reader. If you have Win 98/98SE or 2000, you need to install the drivers from the CD.

Hope this helps.

gr7797
01-19-2005, 12:00 AM
looking for one myself. is it just a memory card reader, or a reader/writer? whats the difference anyway?

propwash
01-19-2005, 10:42 AM
looking for one myself. is it just a memory card reader, or a reader/writer? whats the difference anyway?
I have never seen a card reader that wasn't also a writer. There might be some out there, but all the ones I have seen both read and write to the cards.

rclay
02-17-2005, 04:10 AM
Sorry it took so long for me to get back to you. I can't locate my card right now. Actually, I never used it, because I'm using Windows Me. According to the paperwork, you need to use the CD to install drivers for Win 89/98SE/2000, and also for Mac. If you have Win ME or XP, then installation of drivers is not necessary. I'll keep looking for the disc. What OS are you using? I purchased a tevion 8 in 1 card reader from Aldi Stores and it worked fine on win 98. I have upgraded to win 2000 and am having problems. The supporting paperwork said that I do not need drivers for win 2000. When I plug the reader in it is recognised as a 7 in 1 reader and when I try and read my SD card all I get is a message saying please insert disc. You say that drivers are needed for win 2000, can you tell me where I can download them? I have tried the tevion web site, but no joy. Thanks.

RichC
02-21-2005, 02:11 PM
I bought one of these at Aldi's for $5.99 and installation was no problem on my Windows98 pc. The instructions say to install the drivers for Windows98 and 2000, but aren't needed for ME and XP. I found this website (http://traveler-service.com/front_content.php?idcat=97) with info and phone numbers but no driver downloads.

cami71
06-30-2005, 11:49 PM
I got one Tevion card reader (8 in 1) as a gift a while back, resently purchased a digital camera and I am trying to download the photos to the PC.
The camera is Olimpus, so uses de XD card. I use Windows XP home edition.
The reader when plugged is recognised, but the photos never appear in the screen and they can't be transfered to the HD. Any one knows what do I need to try to get it working.

propwash
07-01-2005, 08:06 AM
I don't think I can help you. My 8-in-1 reader doesn't read xD cards, so it must be different than the one you have. I have only tried mine with CF and SD cards and it works fine with both types in Windows Me.

davespald
01-13-2006, 10:35 AM
This card reader/writer works very well, apart from using a 256 memory stick , the slide show will freeze after about 12 pictures and refuses to forward or reverse. Any comments?

Don,

Schenker, Inc.
Chicago Branch
Traveler Service Center
123 Sivert Court
Bensenville, IL 60106

Tel. 1-800-787-2368

You really don't need any instructions for Win Me or XP. It's just a matter of plugging the reader into the computer. Windows should automatically recognize the reader. If you have Win 98/98SE or 2000, you need to install the drivers from the CD.

Hope this helps.

rosebudcitizen
03-25-2006, 01:17 AM
Hi guys,

just read your thread and noticed you were wondering where Tevion came from. Well firstly, Aldi is a German Grocery chain. One of the best known that is. The do sell inexpencive groceries and once a week the have special offers from computers to gardening tools. Tevion is one of their own brands just like Medion - could even be that Tevion is part of Medion. Their hardware is usually good quality and always cheaper than elsewhere.
I hadn't seen too many stores when I lived in the States, but in the in Germany and the UK you can find them all over the place.
Just FYI.
Lotti

eh4130
05-06-2006, 05:36 PM
Has anyone heard of a brand called Tevion? A local store is offering a card reader that will read eight types of media: Compact Flash I & II, SD/MMC, smart media, micro drive, Memory Stick and Memory Stick Pro. This is listed as a USB 2.0 reader, so I'm hoping it will be pretty fast. The good part is that it's only $10, so I think I don't have too much to lose. Believe it or not, this is at a store that sells primarily groceries, but they have weekly specials on other things as well. Last summer, from the same store, I bought a Pioneer 5-disc DVD player (carousel drawer) for $68. The thing has worked flawlessly, so I have sort of concluded that they do sell some first rate merchandise. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has heard of this particular brand. Thanks.

I have windows xp but when i put my smart media card in the screen stays blank what do I do wrong thanks

Irena
06-14-2006, 06:36 AM
My Tevion works fine on Mac and Win XP but not on Win98, so you're doing better than I. I'm going to have to upgrade my old home PC! I've been looking for a driver tonight and found this site - have downloaded it but not tried yet:
http://www.treibemio.de/treiber-5.2491.3.html

Hope it helps you. Irena.

I purchased a tevion 8 in 1 card reader from Aldi Stores and it worked fine on win 98. I have upgraded to win 2000 and am having problems. The supporting paperwork said that I do not need drivers for win 2000. When I plug the reader in it is recognised as a 7 in 1 reader and when I try and read my SD card all I get is a message saying please insert disc. You say that drivers are needed for win 2000, can you tell me where I can download them? I have tried the tevion web site, but no joy. Thanks.

rrolih
09-30-2007, 08:47 PM
Wish I'd seen this earlier. I plugged in the reader and got the New Hardware Wizard so I stuck in the CD to do the install. On completion it said there was a problem with the driver installation. THEN I noticed that XP uses the standard Windows driver! I've tried uninstalling the driver, searching for driver files on the hard drive and deleting entries in the registry but it still insists on installing the Tevion driver rather than the Windows driver even though the CD has been removed. Any idea how I can get rid of this and start clean? Thanks in advance.

Don,

Schenker, Inc.
Chicago Branch
Traveler Service Center
123 Sivert Court
Bensenville, IL 60106

Tel. 1-800-787-2368

Hope this helps.