PDA

View Full Version : smartmedia

islandguy
11-04-2004, 04:00 PM
I have been looking for a new digital camera. I have a Fuji Finepix 2800 that uses smartmedia memory cards. To save some money I hoped to find a camera what uses the same type of memory, but noticed most of the newer cameras are using xd cards. Is smartmedia becoming obsolete? I am looking at the discontinued Olympus D40 because it uses smartmedia. Is this a mistake? Should I just get with the program and go with the newer XD memory cameras?

Thanks,
j

Rhys
11-04-2004, 05:59 PM
I have been looking for a new digital camera. I have a Fuji Finepix 2800 that uses smartmedia memory cards. To save some money I hoped to find a camera what uses the same type of memory, but noticed most of the newer cameras are using xd cards. Is smartmedia becoming obsolete? I am looking at the discontinued Olympus D40 because it uses smartmedia. Is this a mistake? Should I just get with the program and go with the newer XD memory cameras?

Thanks,
j

I'd say look at Secure-digital based cameras. XD is supported only by Olympus and Funji (who also were the only supporters of Smartmedia). They'll dump XD when they figure they can make more money by making a new memory card format.

Most cameras these days are SD compatible. Most cameras need a minimum of 128mb now and I'd guess your SM cards are smaller. I use 64, 128 and 256 mb cards on mine and find i'm waiting for the 1gb cards to drop to a low enough price. Go for a nice Nikon or Canon. You won't regret it.

islandguy
11-05-2004, 12:46 AM
I have 3 cards, 16, 64 and 128. I just get more milage out of them since I can use them in my MP3 player as well. I dont acutally NEED a new camera, but the fuji 2800 is so boxy and kind of bulky. You can't put it in your pocket and I'd rather not have to bother with a lens cap too.

Thanks for your input.

J

Rhys
11-05-2004, 06:54 AM
I have 3 cards, 16, 64 and 128. I just get more milage out of them since I can use them in my MP3 player as well. I dont acutally NEED a new camera, but the fuji 2800 is so boxy and kind of bulky. You can't put it in your pocket and I'd rather not have to bother with a lens cap too.

Thanks for your input.

J

Well, the Minoltas are certainly small - the Dimage X, Xi, Xg, Xt etc
The Nikon 3200 is small (takes AA batteries)
Both have built-in lens caps.

islandguy
11-05-2004, 12:28 PM
Ok...I read everything I could find on the coolpix 3200 and I like what I see. Amazon has it on sale with free shipping and a free 128 card. BUT I can get the same thing here for just a few dollars more. I also found a 258 card on ebay for under $30.

Big Mahalo for your help! :D

J