PDA

View Full Version : Best AA Charger-Battery Combo?

neoufo51
05-25-2006, 10:19 PM
Hey guys, my Powershot S3 is coming in a matter of days and I'm wondering which charger + 4 AA battery pack you recommend. Thanks!

TampaJim
05-26-2006, 04:19 AM
Energizer NiMH 2500MAh 4 pack with wall charger at WalMart for $17-18. An additional 4-pack of cells only $9-10.

Folks will rave over the high end chargers/cells - but believe me, this will do you fine. I took over 500 shots with the first set over a one week period, they still had juice and I hadn't even touched the second set.

The wall charger is an "overnight" type - but it is much more compact than the "highspeed" type with the cord. I don't have a problem with overnight considering how long the batteries take to use up in the first place.

Ciao!

Turo
05-26-2006, 07:21 AM
Another vote for the Energizer 2500MAh's. I got a pack of 4 at Walmart with charger for around $20, and they're worth their weight in gold :D. I used them in my Canon S1 (not sure how it compares t the S3 as far as power consumption), but I took them to my trip to England last January and got around 350 shots with them in VERY cold weather (I remember reading somewhere that battery life is cut short in colder weather, not sure how accurate that is).

Rhys
05-26-2006, 08:48 AM
I have a variety of batteries and have several chargers. The best I have was bought in Fnac in Brussels but won't work on the infereor US power supply. It works fine in Europe though as well as Britain (with a plug adaptor). My cheap WalMart charger works but I don't think it does the batteries too much good. Whether a premium charger is cost justifiable, I don't know. My AAs still work after several years. The cost of replacing them several times over might still not equal the cost of a premium charger.

bascom
05-26-2006, 09:09 AM
The wall charger is an "overnight" type

I'm thinking of buying one of these. On the box it says it takes 8 hours to charge. Does it have to be consecutive hours? For example, overnight like you say? Or can you fully charge them in 4 two-hour intervals?

TampaJim
05-26-2006, 01:26 PM
I have no idea, but I am sure you could - the difference, if any, would be minimal.

C-Digital
05-27-2006, 09:19 PM
AA size NiMh cell brands commonly found in discount chains have been charged using different low to higher price chargers ($15 to $30 range).

Reply here is based on experience with two different types of chargers which appear to make a big difference in how fully charged cells become.

One type of charger charges two or four cells at a time. Each group of cells receives the same charge even if one or more cells require less charge.

A more expensive charger is the type which has a separate internal computer controlled charge circuit for each cell. This type of charger charges each cell based on that cell's charge needs and halts cell charging one by one.

Another charger observation which camera use seems to bear out is that chargers made when 1600 and 1800 mAh cells were standard might not fully charge newer cells with over 2000 mAh capacity (experience opinion not supported by formal testing).

Given a choice of cells from well known companies and a good charger, the choice would be individual cell type charger designed for high capacity cells.

Attached is a recently rediscovered photo of a charger which is still used for individual cell charging of cells of 2000 mAh capacity or less. The fan shown has been moved to a newer Quantaray 60 Minute Charger, Microprocessor Controlled, which came with 2500 mAh cells and features individual cell charging (cost about $30 plus tax). Fan is a solution used to lower cell temperatures while charging and is shown as a "what we will do to pursue this hobby" item of possible interest.

FLiPMaRC
06-01-2006, 08:48 AM
I just bought a Canon S3, and this is what I'm buying next :D

MH-C401FS 100 Minute Cool Maha Battery Charger (http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20228)

http://www.thomas-distributing.com/images%20maha%20battery%20charger%20mh-c401fs/maha%20battery%20charger%20mh-c401fs-lg.jpg

Manually switch between 100 minute fast charge and 5 hour gentle charge
The Maha PowerEx MH-C401FS is also the first battery charger on the market to offer the choice between a 100-minute rapid charge and a slower, gentler 5-hour charge, both driven by a microprocessor termination control to prevent overcharge. Accomplished by simply flipping a switch, the 5 hour gentle charge achieves ultra-cool charging when charging time is not crucial.

Four Independent Charging Circuits
Unlike some ultra-fast battery chargers on the market, the MH-C401FS battery charger has four independently controlled channels to charge and monitor each rechargeable battery individually. This allows each rechargeable battery to be charged to its full potential without risk of overcharging. The charger can charge one, two, three or four rechargeable batteries and can charge any brand of NiMH AA or AAA size rechargeable batteries. Fully recharges high capacity rechargeable batteries.. regardless of the batteries capacity and will recharge even the higher capacity rechargeable batteries of the future..

POWEREX 2700 mAh AA NiMH Rechargeable Batteries (http://www.thomas-distributing.com/maha_2700_rechargeable_batteries.php)
http://www.thomas-distributing.com/maha/rechargeable-batteries/MH-4AA270BH-lg.jpg

Rhys
06-13-2006, 03:25 PM
I just bought a nifty little charger. It'll only charge AA batteries and it cost me $80 together with 4x AA batteries but it charges in 10 minutes and includes a cooling fan. It charges each cell individually, claims to charge to 95% and even reconditions the cells. It's called a ProMaster XtraPowerExpress. Bonus - it'll work on 240v and 110v so I can use it to travel. Double bouns - it has a plug-in transformer which means that if you can get an appropriate cable you might be able to run it from a car cigarette lighter socket.

Robert Besen
06-14-2006, 09:24 AM
10 minutes, wow. Even if it shortens the life of the cells it's probably worth it. Do you have to use the cells that came with it or can you use any? And what is the capacity of the included cells?

Rhys
06-14-2006, 10:34 AM
2500 mah and I can use any nimh cells.

canon_A620
07-07-2006, 09:22 AM
I just bought a Canon S3, and this is what I'm buying next :D

MH-C401FS 100 Minute Cool Maha Battery Charger (http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20228)

http://www.thomas-distributing.com/images%20maha%20battery%20charger%20mh-c401fs/maha%20battery%20charger%20mh-c401fs-lg.jpg

POWEREX 2700 mAh AA NiMH Rechargeable Batteries (http://www.thomas-distributing.com/maha_2700_rechargeable_batteries.php)
http://www.thomas-distributing.com/maha/rechargeable-batteries/MH-4AA270BH-lg.jpg

I agree with this post. I just received my C401FS. I have a set of Powerex 2700 mAh cells as well. I've heard that the Sanyo 2700 cells are the best out there, with the powerex cells close runners up. I also have the MH-C204W and BC-900 chargers.

megazero
07-09-2006, 02:01 PM
I got a energizer 15min charger, it cost like $30 at walmart, it charges either 4 AA or 4 AAA, and has a fan built in to cool them, but still very hot after I take them out, i know it works on Energizer 2200 and 2500 mah

Other AA or AAA size NiMH cells can also be charged, but may take longer to charge - the charger slows down for cells it feels can't take all the power.
it will monitor each charging bay individually, and can thus charge any number of cells from 1 to 4

BonjiB
07-10-2006, 08:07 PM
I can see everyone has a different opinion on the matter but i LOVE my panasonic rechargers. I've had em for about... maybe... 2 years now. They're "only" 2300 mha but the charger that came with em charges em up fully in a little under an hour or so and they're powerful enough to power my sunpak 383 auto for over 200 full power umbrella mounted flash actuations before starting to slow down as far as recycle time goes. I got em at BJ's wholesale which is similar to sam's club and costco and the like. I've had BAD luck with quantaray batteries. They take forever to charge (something like 6 hours) and just don't last nearly as long as the panasonics even though they are both 2300 mha. Weird phenomenon i know, but still, that's my experience. good luck.

EDIT: oh yeah, forgot to mention, i paid 20 bucks and some change for 6 AA's 2 AAA's and the charger which holds 4 of either.

truflip
07-13-2006, 11:05 AM
u guys kno of a store that will ship over to Canada for cheap? the shipping to canada with thomasdistributing costs as much as the battery/charger combo =(

canon_A620
07-13-2006, 11:14 AM
u guys kno of a store that will ship over to Canada for cheap? the shipping to canada with thomasdistributing costs as much as the battery/charger combo =(MH-C401FS @ Durham Radio in Canada (http://www.durhamradio.com/s/product.php?productid=42591) I'm not sure if this will be cheaper for you.

truflip
07-13-2006, 11:26 AM
hmm the one from US is $34 I think plus $27 express 3 day shipping... so convert it after taxes, they prolly come up the same or a bit cheaper for the one from US.. and its a 2700Mah hmm... thanks for the link tho maybe i can find one cheaper there

my00wrx1
07-19-2006, 05:28 AM
I've got a Maha MH-C401FS charger and some Energizer 2500 mAh batteries and haven't a problem with either. Both general get very good reviews. I've heard the Powerex batteries sold by Maha are also pretty good too. Make sure you get some of the handy battery carry cases as well which are great for keeping your spare batteries in.