PDA

View Full Version : How long does an unused D50 battery hold a chare?

siddal
05-24-2006, 10:07 AM
Sorry if this is a totally dorky question. I'm new to the digital SLR world, and have never used rechargeable batteries before. I'm going on a two week trip to the UK and want to pack very lightly (backpacking it). I want to take a backup EN-EL3a battery with me rather than futzing around with convertors and plug adapters for my battery charger. Will a fully charged battery hold its charge and be ok stored in my case? Or would it be a better idea to just take the charger? Thank you very much.

D70FAN
05-25-2006, 04:04 PM
Sorry if this is a totally dorky question. I'm new to the digital SLR world, and have never used rechargeable batteries before. I'm going on a two week trip to the UK and want to pack very lightly (backpacking it). I want to take a backup EN-EL3a battery with me rather than futzing around with convertors and plug adapters for my battery charger. Will a fully charged battery hold its charge and be ok stored in my case? Or would it be a better idea to just take the charger? Thank you very much.

Actually that is a good question.

It takes about 45-60 days for rechargables to self discharge, so you should be fine. FYI: The charger should run off of any power source 110 to 240V so you don't need a converter. The plug adapter for UK plugs is very light, as is the charger, so you may want to reconsider packing these anyway. That said, I shot 10 days in Europe with my D70 and didn't change batteries until the last day (~800 images).

Being somewhat paranoid, I also carry a 3X 2CR battery (MS-D70) pack that came with the D70 and fits the EN-EL3 form factor, as insurance (storage life is about 8-10 years). 2CR Lithiums are expensive, but they are almost as easy to find as AA's and I found them just about everywhere. Haven't had to use them yet (2 years and counting).

Hope that helps.

siddal
05-26-2006, 07:40 AM
It takes about 45-60 days for rechargables to self discharge, so you should be fine. FYI: The charger should run off of any power source 110 to 240V so you don't need a converter. The plug adapter for UK plugs is very light

....I also carry a 3X 2CR battery (MS-D70) pack that came with the D70 and fits the EN-EL3 form factor, as insurance (storage life is about 8-10 years).

Hi George, thanks so much for answering my question. That helps a lot! I find all of the voltage stuff very confusing, so I appreciate you pointing that out. I may indeed go ahead and pack the charger and get a plug convertor (I may have one from the last time I went to the UK if I can dig it up).

So it sounds like it's ok to use alternate batteries as well? I just bought an extra battery from B&H. I thought I was buying a Nikon battery, but it's some other brand that replace the EN-EL3a. On another person's advice, I was trying to avoid generic batteries. Think there is any risk in it frying my camera?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=431940&is=REG&addedTroughType=search
Thanks for your help to a newb!
Cheers, Robin :)