PDA

View Full Version : Dead charger?

Rhys
05-02-2006, 08:46 AM
I have a battery charger I bought in Wal Mart, 2 years ago. I have a Nikon 3100 that I've been using for years. I have several sets of batteries for my 3100 and other cameras.

I charged my batteries last week and put them in, this week, took 3 flash photos and the batteries are flat, according to the camera. I checked with my cheapo battery meter and it read to the low end of good. Interesting since I left the batteries to charge for longer than normal since I had the same result from another (newer) set of batteries in the same camera.

I'm wondering whether the charger is giving all it should, whether the batteries (various sets aged from 1 year old to 3 years and all with light to moderate use) are all dying or whether the camera is developing a thirst for batteries.

Any ideas?

erichlund
05-02-2006, 09:25 AM
I have a battery charger I bought in Wal Mart, 2 years ago. I have a Nikon 3100 that I've been using for years. I have several sets of batteries for my 3100 and other cameras.

I charged my batteries last week and put them in, this week, took 3 flash photos and the batteries are flat, according to the camera. I checked with my cheapo battery meter and it read to the low end of good. Interesting since I left the batteries to charge for longer than normal since I had the same result from another (newer) set of batteries in the same camera.

I'm wondering whether the charger is giving all it should, whether the batteries (various sets aged from 1 year old to 3 years and all with light to moderate use) are all dying or whether the camera is developing a thirst for batteries.

Any ideas?
Most likely is that the batteries are just getting old. Despite light use, NiMH batteries don't last forever. One thing I would recommend is that you batch your batteries by age, because if you mix them in use, you may have weak batteries among strong.

I've found that the better quality batteries will give me 2-3 years good performance, but cheap batteries may bite the bullit after just one year.

If your charger has a reconditioning setting, like some models of Maha chargers, you might try that. AFAIK, all the reconditioning setting does is discharge the battery and then charge it slow. However, I've not had a lot of luck restoring weak batteries.

Rhys
05-02-2006, 11:14 AM
Most likely is that the batteries are just getting old. Despite light use, NiMH batteries don't last forever. One thing I would recommend is that you batch your batteries by age, because if you mix them in use, you may have weak batteries among strong.

I've found that the better quality batteries will give me 2-3 years good performance, but cheap batteries may bite the bullit after just one year.

If your charger has a reconditioning setting, like some models of Maha chargers, you might try that. AFAIK, all the reconditioning setting does is discharge the battery and then charge it slow. However, I've not had a lot of luck restoring weak batteries.

I think my charger probably isn't the best but since all batteries (even the brand new ones) seem to be acting like this, it tends to look as though the charger is telling me the batteries are full way before they actually are.