PDA

View Full Version : NB-2L Anomaly?

Frank Wheeler
04-09-2006, 07:44 AM

I think this is precisely the type of resource I've been seeking.

I own a Canon S40 and because of the cost factor have been using OEM NB-2L replacement batteries since my original showed signs of giving up the ghost.

My first one ($24 with shipping, marked with a "7.2V 600 mAn" rating) performed extremely well for well over a year, but when I felt that that was starting to wane, last September I obtained two for $26.35, delivered, from 1800emart which advertised them as "Canon NB-2L, Canon NB-2LH Equivalent 7.4V 1500mAh Lithium-Ion Digital Camera Battery."

I've used one of them for several months now with excellent performance, and when I went on vacation last week, brought along the second one for back-up. When I unwrapped it and put it in the Canon recharger, when it seemed to finish "taking the charge," the ready light on the charger started slowly pulsing between green and red, something I've never before experienced.

I let it continue this way for another 30 minutes, then moved the recharger to another wall outlet (same result), tried it again the next day, tried it again when I returned home… still the same condition.

Has anyone experienced anything such as this? Is the battery terminally defective? Will using it damage my S40?

Any information or suggestions gratefully accepted.

Clyde
04-09-2006, 08:10 AM
This happened to me. I figured I hadn't used the battery, and so it had died.

Hopefully someone who actually knows (instead of just 'figures') will answer authoritatively, but if it were me, I would buy a cheap replacement battery on eBay.

Good Luck,

Clyde

csbl98
04-25-2006, 08:34 PM
I would buy a cheap replacement battery on eBay.

Sorry for changing topic...
I'm just looking at ebay for a replacement battery for my XT right now.
Has anyone used them? are they original? a NB-2LH+shipping = $8?? while beachcamera cost $70??? I can't decide... :confused: any suggestion?

Clyde
04-26-2006, 09:11 AM
The cheap eBay replacement batteries work for me. I can't tell the difference between the OEM and the replacement in the camera. I bought from this (http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZaccstationQQhtZ-1) guy, but they are all probably around the same.

Save your money for lenses!

Clyde

CptOfGondor
04-27-2006, 10:05 PM
I guess an AA battery grip is out of the question. (big price tags)

Yea proprietary batteries are a pain in the ass. LoL, Jeff knows that all too well. ;)