PDA

View Full Version : Do all compacts use Li-ion batteries?

bascom
02-21-2006, 11:41 AM
Do all compacts use Li-ion batteries, or do any use AA batteries? Are Li-ion bats smaller than AAs? Are AAs too big to fit in small cameras?

Fred
02-21-2006, 03:49 PM
Well, my Canon A95 uses four AA batteries, and there are some newer Canon point & shoots which (I believe) use two AA's. IIRC, there are also some other brands which use AA's as well.

propwash
02-21-2006, 10:43 PM
It all depends on the particular camera. Some compacts use AA's and some use Li-ion batteries. Size is also dependent on the particular lithium battery. Some lithiums are fairly big--around the size of two AA's. and some are fairly small and thin. Generally, a lithium-ion battery will be much lighter than an AA of the same size. Lithiums generally have less self-discharge during periods of non-use than NiMH batteries , but they are more expensive than AA's. If you get a camera that uses AA's, my advice would be to get some rechargeable Ni-MH batteries. They will last much longer than alkalines, and they are easy to find. Most people get two sets of rechargeables, so they will always have a spare set charged up and ready to go when the first set gets depleted.

bascom
02-22-2006, 08:56 AM
Thanks but I don't consider the A95 or other small point and shoot cameras to be compacts. I'm asking about smaller ones like SD450, SD550, Sony P200, Panasonic FX8, and so on. As far as I can tell, all compacts use Li-ion batteries. For someone like me who prefers AA batteries, this is a drawback of compacts.

TheCheckoutcouk
02-26-2006, 05:03 AM
The only thing is it seems more economical to use Li-ion batteries. You can just charge them up everytime rather than buying new AA's. Also AA's get run down much faster

Regards
www.thecheckout.co.uk - Great deals on Digital Camera accessories

bascom
04-04-2006, 10:19 AM
I think you are talking about disposable AA's, but rechargeable AA's are longer lasting and cheaper than lithiums. So far the Casio Z110/Z120 are the only ultracompacts I found that use AA's.

David Metsky
04-04-2006, 12:13 PM
Thanks but I don't consider the A95 or other small point and shoot cameras to be compacts. I'm asking about smaller ones like SD450, SD550, Sony P200, Panasonic FX8, and so on. As far as I can tell, all compacts use Li-ion batteries. For someone like me who prefers AA batteries, this is a drawback of compacts.
I consider all those you mention to be ultra-compacts. Models like the A95 are compacts.

-dave-

Peterlaver
04-09-2006, 06:24 PM
As a general rule I find that the use of a DEDICATED battery instead of the standard AA cell requires a camera manufacturers specific charger.

I use AA cells in three cameras and prefer the NIMH type. Another small advantage of the AA cell camera is that you can always take that EMERGENCY photo with a pair of non rechargeable cells. (wont last long but you get the photo)

Now to the use of the NIMH cells. My cameras always leave small amount of charge although the camera indicates LOW BATTERY.

A substantial improvement in capacity can be made if you fully discharge the cells outside the camera. I use a simple clip to connect each cell to a 2.5 volt bulb. It is essential that each cell is discharged INDIVIDUALLY AND NOT AS A SERIES GROUP, as all cells are slightly different in capacity and discharge to different levels.

Now , any method of discharging cells as a group in A SERIES CONNECTION will result in the better cell giving a reverse voltage to the other cells. NOT A GOOD THING TO DO. I find that leaving the discharge on until the bulb stops lighting will result in each cell having just 1 volt. This method has given me very good capacity on each cell AS LONG AS YOU NOW FULLY CHARGE AT A REASONABLE RATE. SUPER FAST CHARGERS PUT LESS IN AND REDUCE CELL LIFE.

Hope this helps.

Peter.

GaryFx
04-22-2006, 10:54 AM
A substantial improvement in capacity can be made if you fully discharge the cells outside the camera. I use a simple clip to connect each cell to a 2.5 volt bulb. It is essential that each cell is discharged INDIVIDUALLY AND NOT AS A SERIES GROUP, as all cells are slightly different in capacity and discharge to different levels.

Though I haven't seen any recently, it used to be possible to get NiMH chargers that would do a discharge cycle first, for the same reason. The one I have works with pairs (two separate circuits, each taking two cells). I don't worry about any differences between the two, since I always keep the paired cells together so that they get identical usage.

And while I agree with the preference for NiMH AA batteries, that's a secondary consideration. My last two digital cameras both use li-ion, as their other advantages outweight the disadvantage of the proprietary cells.

Gary

bascom
05-19-2006, 01:09 PM
Do all compacts use Li-ion batteries, or do any use AA batteries? Are Li-ion bats smaller than AAs? Are AAs too big to fit in small cameras?
I'm going to define small as weighing 150g or less without batteries. There now is a good selection of small ones that use AA's. Here are the best ones I've found so far:

Casio Z110/Z120
Fuji A400/A500/A600
Nikon L1/L2/L3
Pana LS2
Pentax M10
Sony S45, S600

AlexMonro
05-19-2006, 01:43 PM
There are a few small cameras, such as the Benq DC E30, which run on AAA batteries, which allows them to be a little smaller than the ones taking AAs. Rechargeable NiMH AAAs are available, though they have significantly less capacity than AAs.