PDA

View Full Version : stupid easy question

phatkid77
02-05-2006, 08:09 AM
when looking to buy a used lens say on the bay....the D70s is a 62mm filter size??????

i imagine this is an important tidbit of information to know b4 hand....lol

thanks

cory

coldrain
02-05-2006, 08:27 AM
each lens has a different filter size. Filter size is the size of the front of the lens, where you screw on filters when wanted/needed. Since different lenses have different sizes, you have to look at each lens to see what kind of filter size they need.

phatkid77
02-05-2006, 08:40 AM
so my stupid question remains......what do i need to look for when buying used...anything??

thanks

erichlund
02-06-2006, 09:01 AM
so my stupid question remains......what do i need to look for when buying used...anything??

thanks
Well, the first thing is you take a bit of a chance buying a used lens on Ebay. But that's true of buying anything on Ebay.

First, you need to know your camera. Assuming Nikon, you know you need lenses with an F-mount. If it's a D70 or D50 (and some others), it won't meter AI / AI-S lenses so you have to be sure that the lens is not one of those. This is where your manual comes in handy. Way back in the appendix of the manual, there's a lens compatibility chart. If buying used lenses, that chart is your friend. Get to know it well.

Don't worry about filter size, but will the lens do what you want it to do? With digital photography, you aren't changing filters as much as you would with film. Some people still use a skylight as a lens protector, but the main expensive filter people still use a lot is the circular polarizer. Eventually, you will need several sizes, or all 77mm and a bunch of different step up rings. Of course, the problem with that route is you can't use the filter and the lens hood on anything smaller than a 77mm filtered lens. Of course, using a polarizer with a lens hood has it's own challenges, but many of today's lenses do not rotate at the front, so you can set the polarizer, restore the hood, and then zoom, focus and shoot.

Does the lens appear physically OK? It can suffer some rub marks and such, but severe scratches, especially on the glass, but also on the body, indicate rough treatement.

Is it still tight, or is it mechanically very loose, to the point of being sloppy? Preferably, you want to take a shot or three with it and check focus and optical defects. Also, look through the lens a bright light and check for large quanities of "junk" inside the lens.

Is it a lens you can actually make use of, or are you just collecting? I bought a used AI-S 55mm f2.8 micro Nikkor. This is a lens I will, and have used. It uses the same filters as my 50mm f1.8 and 35mm f2, so that was a bonus.