PDA

View Full Version : What SD card for my D50? problems with fast stuff? (133x)

Scott6
02-01-2006, 12:38 PM
Hey, I need memory for my Nikon D50. I want to order a 1gb SD stick for it but I read a few places on google hits that people have been have problems with high speed 1gb stick on the camera.

For example corsair 1gb SD 133x speed.

I guess a good place to stard would be what memory are some real D50 users useing? im looking for fast stuff.

K1W1
02-01-2006, 01:42 PM
There is no in camera benefit in having a card faster than about 40x. The camera bus cannot transfer data faster than that. The only benefit is when you take the card out of the camera and use a card reader you will get faster card -> PC transfer times.
I haven't heard of anybody having problems with fast cards per se. Maybe it's just a particular brand or batch that is a problem.

D70FAN
02-01-2006, 02:31 PM
There is no in camera benefit in having a card faster than about 40x. The camera bus cannot transfer data faster than that. The only benefit is when you take the card out of the camera and use a card reader you will get faster card -> PC transfer times.
I haven't heard of anybody having problems with fast cards per se. Maybe it's just a particular brand or batch that is a problem.

You might want to qualify that with: "there are FEW cameras that can benefit from cards faster than 40X (~6MB/sec.)". But there are a few. The controller interface has a lot to do with real camera transfer speed. And sometimes the top speed on the card seems to be the download speed (data out) rather than the transfer speed (data in).

Here is a good reference on the subject. Unfortunately not updated since last March, but still a good reference.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007

Look at the D2X as a good example of a camera which requires a very fast card for optimum results.

Jason25
02-01-2006, 05:15 PM
I use a 1GB Sandisk Ultra II in my D50 and it performs just fine :)

Bullitt
02-01-2006, 10:45 PM
I use the 1GB Sandisk Extreme III for my camera and it works quite well...

K1W1
02-02-2006, 12:16 AM
You might want to qualify that with: "there are FEW cameras that can benefit from cards faster than 40X (~6MB/sec.)". But there are a few. The controller interface has a lot to do with real camera transfer speed. And sometimes the top speed on the card seems to be the download speed (data out) rather than the transfer speed (data in).

Here is a good reference on the subject. Unfortunately not updated since last March, but still a good reference.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007

Look at the D2X as a good example of a camera which requires a very fast card for optimum results.

All true but the OP specifically asked about the D50 not the D2X or any other camera.

D70FAN
02-02-2006, 03:03 PM
All true but the OP specifically asked about the D50 not the D2X or any other camera.

Yup. My reading error. It happens...:o

arctic_hawk2003
02-03-2006, 12:31 PM
I use the 1GB Sandisk Extreme III for my camera and it works quite well...

Same for me!