PDA

View Full Version : Time to Buy?

derekinla
01-30-2006, 05:13 PM
Hello Everyone,

I am planning on buying a DSLR within the next several months (probably a D50....) but I was wondering if it would be better to buy now or wait? Are there new Nikon DSLR's going to be released anytime soon? I would hate to buy a D50 now and only to have new models roll out in the next few months ...:)

coldrain
01-30-2006, 06:01 PM
Hard to say when Nikon comes with a new camera... the most likely suspect for replacement is the D70s for now... after that maybe a D50 successor. Since the D50 is selling well, and is just half a year on the market, do not expect a replacement very soon.

D70FAN
01-30-2006, 06:04 PM
The D50 is a relatively new camera for Nikon, and it is selling very well in the marketplace, so I wouldn't expect a replacement real soon. The air is rife with rumors of a replacement for the D70s, but no official leaks yet.

However, whatever would replace the D50 would come after the D70 so buy the D50 with confidence... at least for the next 6 months.

K1W1
01-31-2006, 01:03 AM
If no new cameras are released in the next couple of weeks in time for PMA then you are probably safe for 4-6 months at least until the "pre Christmas" releases start.

derekinla
01-31-2006, 09:00 PM
Comp USA has the D50 (with the 18-55mm lens) on sale this week for $599
Circuit City also has the D50 on sale this week for $699

BUT......

Best Buy has the D50 on sale for $699 - $135 instant savings = $564.99

I suppose if I go to Circuit City to price match the Best Buy Price plus 10%, the price would be $564.99 - $13.50 = $551.49 + sales tax!!

I think the time to buy.... might be this week! :)

beachluvr
02-01-2006, 01:09 AM
BUT......Best Buy has the D50 on sale for $699 - $135 instant savings = $564.99

The deals this week on the D50 are incredible. I looked at Best Buy's site and only found a $664 deal so far, but since CompUSA is at $599 it sounds realistic. The D50 is an outstanding camera and for that price (with lens) it would make a great way to get into DSLR camera. The D50 sure knocks the socks off anything else in the price range ... and had a lot of Nikon's famous "look".

There's nothing bad that can be said about the sub $1000 DSLRs. Each has something that makes it a class leader. If VR/AS isn't a big deal to you, and for many people it's not, the D50 may easily represent the ultimate deal in it's category right now. How can you go wrong for about $550 WITH lens? That's not much more than a point-and-shoot.

Canon, Pentax and Olympus all make good images as well but the D50 is clearly becoming the DSLR price leader.

My own recent purchase (breaking ranks) was a Konica Minolta 5D. In terms of control and slightly advanced features it is a little ahead of the comparable Nikon and Canon offerings but not so much so that you would go wrong with Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Pentax or any of the other DSLR brands. They ALL will satisfy your photographic urges.

Jason25
02-01-2006, 10:20 AM
Wow, those are outstanding deals on the D50 from regular stores! Beach Camera has it for $500 even today!

derekinla
02-01-2006, 11:41 AM
Just checked the Beach Camera Website and the D50 withthe 18-55mm kit lens is $595.99..... Even with sales tax, the D50 at say Circuit City with a price-matched Best Buy price - 10% of the difference is cheaper.... Never thought I'd see that! :)

meridian506
02-01-2006, 10:29 PM
Hopefully Circuit City will still do the match, but I just went by my local Best Buy (Bellevue WA) and they claim that the price is actually $665 - the same as the online price. The $135 is a discount from the $799 original price. The flyer in the Sunday paper certianly doesnt read that way - it reads as 699-135.

If Circuit City is a bust, I think I'll just order online (though I'm going to check my local Costco to see what their single kit lens price is. It was $750 with a 256meg SD card, but seeing as costco.com have reduced the 2 lens price from $899 to $829 this week, maybe the single lens has dropped say $50 too. At least you cn take it back to Costco if you don't like how the camera shoots a certain way)

David.

erichlund
02-01-2006, 10:46 PM
Hopefully Circuit City will still do the match, but I just went by my local Best Buy (Bellevue WA) and they claim that the price is actually $665 - the same as the online price. The $135 is a discount from the $799 original price. The flyer in the Sunday paper certianly doesnt read that way - it reads as 699-135.

If Circuit City is a bust, I think I'll just order online (though I'm going to check my local Costco to see what their single kit lens price is. It was $750 with a 256meg SD card, but seeing as costco.com have reduced the 2 lens price from $899 to $829 this week, maybe the single lens has dropped say $50 too. At least you cn take it back to Costco if you don't like how the camera shoots a certain way)

David.
Sometimes there is an error in the ad, and there is a disclaimer for just those occasions. However, I would have shown them their own add and made them actually fall on the disclaimer. Sometimes they will cave.

derekinla
02-02-2006, 03:55 PM
I called around to a few of the local Best Buys and they confirmed that the price was $665... The ad says "After Price Drop. Before Savings" and there is a line that says $135 instant savings. The ad certainly suggests that the $799 to $699 was the price drop and that there is an additional $135 instant savings. I guess they are making the distinction between "savings" and "instant savings" but in any event, I say the ad is deceptive....

Good news is you can get the Camera w/ the 18-55mm kit lens for $599 + tax from CompUSA or

$595.99 with free shipping/ and no sales tax from Beach Camera online.

I decided to get the Camera from Beach Camera :D

thebac
02-02-2006, 04:35 PM
I have to concur with others here--It clearly states 699.99 after price drop (presumably from the list price of 799.99) and before savings. On top of that it says 135 instant savings. It doesn't say 135 off original price. Somebody probably messed up and they didn't want to invoke the disclaimer, so they're making up some other story. No surprise people hate BB...

meridian506
02-02-2006, 05:57 PM
I especially find it deceptive when I'm told instore that it is a mistake, yet after 4 days the flyer on the website (hit Weekly Ad and enter zip code) has not been pulled or corrected - so they have had plenty of time to update it.

I checked the local Costco today and they are selling the single-lens kit for $669 now including a 256meg SD card and so I bit the bullit! From playing with the camera I know we'll enjoy it for a long time, but I really like having Costco's liberal return policy if after a while it's not living up to expectations. Costco also have the Sandisk Ultra II 1G cards for just $65. CompUSA are sold out round here (and Costco don't price match anyway) but I get peice of mind and no need to buy an extended warranty.

Good luck to everyone else who is buying!
David.

derekinla
02-02-2006, 07:56 PM
Just curious.... What is Costco's return policy with electronics? Is it true you can return electronic items anytime for any reason? For example, If you purchase a $3000 plasma TV, $2000 computer, or $700 digital camera and 8 years later something goes wrong, or you decide that "you're no longer" pleased with ownership of the item..... you can return the item for full price?

derekinla
02-04-2006, 10:20 PM
Just got my D50 with the 18-55mm kit lens and I was pleasantly surprised at how smoothly the whole ordering experience went with Beach Camera. I normally get stuff from J&R or B&H, so I was a little hessitant at first. Beach Camera had my order to me in 48 hours! Wow! No follow-up calls to sell accessories or any bait and switch problems. The price was fantastic too! $595.99 with free shipping and no taxes. :)