PDA

View Full Version : Just purchased D50, help

grace_m
01-28-2006, 08:36 PM
Hello all,

I have just purchased a Nikon D50 after a few weeks of research.

The battery is now charging, and I just put the kit lens on (18-55) and the viewfinder is very dark? Is this normal? From what I remember of my handling of a dead camera at a best buy store it shouldn't have been that dark?? And yes I took the lens cap off:) I mean I can see what the lens is seeing, but its just too dark..?

Any tips on what I should do to make sure everything works fine?

How do I check if the camera has been used before? is their a counter that shows how many pix it has taken? This is because the plastic of the neck strap was taped with regular scotch tape and Im a bit worried.. I dont care if it works fine, I bought it new and I expect a new camera.

I haven't opened the manual yet because if I do I cant return it if I dont like it..

many thanks ya'll./

grace_m
01-28-2006, 10:20 PM
Ok batt is fully charged now and Ive tried it out.

Everything looks good so far. The viewfinder is bright now.

But my problem now is that sometimes there's a sound a hear when I move the camera, say from normal/horizontal to vertical/portrait..

It's like there's something loose in there.. sort of like a really small pebble bouncing around..???

this is even when the camera is turned off btw, is this what the "orientation sensor" that they say? or isn't it suppose to just make a sound when its on?

waaah!

Also I was looking at the "manual" or the paper thingie that comes with the kit lens and the illustration shows a lens hood? is this just for illustration purposees? or does it really come in the box? cause I dont have one..

thanks.

K1W1
01-29-2006, 02:57 AM
But my problem now is that sometimes there's a sound a hear when I move the camera, say from normal/horizontal to vertical/portrait..

It's like there's something loose in there.. sort of like a really small pebble bouncing around..???

Do not panic you camera is perfectly normal. If you do some research on this or other forums you will see that your question is probably asked evry day by new users and every day they get the same answer.
The noise that you hear is the orientation sensor. It's a little ball bearing the moves around to let the camera know which way is "up" in an image (the ball bearing obviously is always at the bottom). This allows tha camera and your software to correctly display the image on screen.

As far as your lens hood question is concerned there is no lens hood supplied with the 18-55 kit lens

If you want to know the total number of shutter releases then you will need to download the EXIF viewer from Opanda (Windows only). Take a photo, transfer it to your PC and have use the EXIF viewer to view the EXIF data. At one of the fields at the bottom the total number of shutter releases is shown. Nikons software does not show this number in any EXIF view as I guess they record it only for diagnostic purposes.

coldrain
01-29-2006, 02:58 AM
The noise you hear is normal. It is part of the pop up flash, and other cameras like my 350D make that "noise" too.

K1W1
01-29-2006, 03:01 AM
The noise you hear is normal. It is part of the pop up flash, and other cameras like my 350D make that "noise" too.

Actually on a Nikon it's not.

grace_m
01-30-2006, 10:49 AM
thanks, thanks!

ya, i read in another forum that it was an orientation sensor of some sort, i just wasnt sure if it was suppose to work even while the camera is off.

took some pix yday, just a few, it was too cold outside, not much fun taking pix in freezing weather..

now I have another question, is it ok to charge the battery if its not yet fully depleted? although i do have an extra battery, but I would like both to be full while im at home and have the chance to charge them.

also, when using the manual focus in the kit (18-55) lens, do I have to switch both the lens and camera to manual focus? what ive done so far is just switch the button on the lens since its easier and just leave the switch on the body to AF?? and it seems to work fine to me..

thanks!!

toriaj
01-30-2006, 11:52 PM
is it ok to charge the battery if its not yet fully depleted? Discussed this in this thread (see newest post) http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11663

K1W1
01-31-2006, 01:00 AM
There is some very bad advice in the lead post in the thread.

DO NOT allow Lithium Ion batteries to fully discharge before recharging them. The advice in the post relates to older Ni-CAD or Ni-MH batteries that had various types of memory affects.
All batteries have a life cycle. For most current Li-ION batteries it's around 1000 charge / discharge cycles so before anybody gets to carried away with this think it through.
If you get say, 500 photos per charge and the battery will last 1000 cycles then the battery is capable of taking 500,000 photos. Seeing as the D50 / D70 models seem to last somewhere in the range of 100,000 - 120,000 shutter releases your battery will last 4 - 5 times longer than your camera body. Is there any point in being worried about battery life from a practical point of view?

D70FAN
01-31-2006, 06:37 AM
thanks, thanks!

ya, i read in another forum that it was an orientation sensor of some sort, i just wasnt sure if it was suppose to work even while the camera is off.

took some pix yday, just a few, it was too cold outside, not much fun taking pix in freezing weather..

Try some indoor shots... this is the perfect time to learn how to use the on-board flash, get some practice at wide-angle shots, and study the manual.

now I have another question, is it ok to charge the battery if its not yet fully depleted? although i do have an extra battery, but I would like both to be full while im at home and have the chance to charge them.

Yes... charge whenever you feel like it... As per the other posts here, it will be a long while before you need to buy a replacement.

also, when using the manual focus in the kit (18-55) lens, do I have to switch both the lens and camera to manual focus? what ive done so far is just switch the button on the lens since its easier and just leave the switch on the body to AF?? and it seems to work fine to me..

thanks!!

I generally switch both, mainly out of habit, so I'm not sure if it matters. Apparently the camera can figure it out. Again, the manual is a good read.;)