PDA

View Full Version : D70 is blinking out

rphowell
01-28-2006, 08:17 PM
I recently purchased a used D70. Have shot approximately 300 images with no problems. The camera then sat in the closet for about 3 weeks with no card in it. When I pulled the camera out of the bag, the screen by the on/off switch just said -E-. The camera was off. I put a card in the camera and the orange "reading card" light just blinks. Doesn't do anything else. When I take the card out and just turn the camera on, it does nothing. Nothing comes on the display at all. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Rob

rphowell
01-28-2006, 08:37 PM
Okay, I've done some searching and found out that this is a fairly common failure called the Blinking Light of Death. It has to go back to Nikon, but they'll fix it for free. My question is that my camera says Made in Thailand on the bottom. Is this a grey market camera? Will Nikon fix this? Thanks.

Rob

Jason25
01-28-2006, 10:09 PM
That is a very common problem. My D50 was made in Thailand as well, you should be fine. Just send it off to Nikon, and you should get it back good as new :)

It really sucks that Nikon didn't catch this earlier, and let so many cameras out with the problem, but at least they're fixing it for free (as they should).

K1W1
01-29-2006, 03:05 AM
All D50 and D70 camera's are now made in Nikons Thailand factory.
The only way that you will know whether it's a grey market unit is when Nikon confirm the serial number as a ligit US import.