PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a indoor low ligh Lens (wide) for D50

Scott6
01-26-2006, 11:21 AM
Lookin for a lens for my D50 for indoor pictures of my kid and rest of family. I only have the builtin flash, and dont allways like the washed out look of the flash, so maybe something that will allow me to use no flash.

Im thinking a good fixed lens? somethign kindof wide, ill use foot zoom if I have to with this one. Pairing it with my stock 18-55mm DX.

sugestions?

Jason25
01-26-2006, 02:30 PM
Personally, I think your situation calls for the Nikkor 35mm f2. I have the 50mm f1.8, and while it's a great lens, sometimes it just isn't wide enough.

Quorthon
01-26-2006, 02:48 PM
Hi Scott,

The Nikon 50mm f/1.8 is widely considered to be of great value for indoor photography (and other stuff..) only costing at around 100$ (!!). I currently do almost all my indoor photos with it. I can say it's an amazing lens, especially for those natural-light indoor portraits of the little ones. IMHO the extra 15mm over the 35mm lens is useful, in that you can retain a "safe" distance and still get nice close portraits. I attached a picture as an example for this... (notice the abuse of the shallow DOF... :) )

If you want some zoom capabilities and still have low light performance, the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 is considered a great lens for a good price at around 350$ or less. I'm about to get that one soon as well...

Hope this helps,
Or

Scott6
01-26-2006, 02:56 PM
well, at 100 bucks the 50mm f1.8 seem like and must and somethign I cant go wrong with. the 35mm is about out of my budjet if I buy the D50 Outfit.. if I but the body only It will save me 100 bucks... but then im stuck with a D50 a nive 35mm prime and no more money...

I think the stock 18-55mm will more than meet my needs for now for my outdoor shooting and the 50mm prime will pick up the slack in low light indoor... I have a 800 budjet.. me want the 35 but its too much $$$ for now... credit card will need to cool down form the D50 body purchase..

I just read the entire Lens buyer guide (http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8089) and feel like I didnt even need to make this post... dont you just hate n00b liek me that need to post dumb crap all the time.. over ar [H]ardOCP (computer crap) im one of the self proclamed experts that has to reply to the same question every week... over here its the other way around...

Jason25
01-26-2006, 03:00 PM
No problem at all :) The 50/1.8 does work really well, and is quite a bargain. I use mine all the time. For those times it isn't wide enough, I just back up some more :D

I'm also considering that Tamron, very nice lens indeed, and the price is right!

Quorthon
01-26-2006, 03:08 PM
just mentioning... I updated my post above with a pic. :rolleyes:

Or

D70FAN
01-26-2006, 03:34 PM
just mentioning... I updated my post above with a pic. :rolleyes:

Or

Yah, sure. You just wanted to post "the cutie" again. Not that I mind, as she looks a lot like my nice... another cutie.

D70FAN
01-26-2006, 03:47 PM
Fast lenses are great, but a good speedlight is even better. I have a feeling that if you took the time to learn how to use the internal speedlight that your results would improve greatly, and save you some frustration and money in the short term.

Next step: Save up for an SB800. OR... the SB600 will also work great if you don't plan to use the wireless Commander mode (not built into the D50). You could always get the SB600 first, then the SB800 later (if and when you decide to use remote speedlights), and then use the original SB600 as a remote.

Also, you can't go wrong with the Nikkor 50mm f/1.8. It's still the standard in fixed focus AF lenses for Nikon. Nothing wrong with a little foot zoom.

Welcome to the land of dSLR's. Credit card companies love it.;)

D70FAN
01-26-2006, 03:53 PM
No problem at all :) The 50/1.8 does work really well, and is quite a bargain. I use mine all the time. For those times it isn't wide enough, I just back up some more :D

I'm also considering that Tamron, very nice lens indeed, and the price is right!

Have you considered the Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 EX DG DF Macro? For my use the wider starting point has higher priority than the longer zoom. And from what I've seen it will give the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 a run for about the same money.

Just my 2 penneys worth.

Scott6
01-26-2006, 03:58 PM
Wow thaat a nice pic dude! I really cant wait to get my setup started...

I cant see myself useing the remote so maybe the 600 speedlight is goo enough? hopefully its cheaper.

What are some of your thought on getting a Nikon D50 body only (around $550) and getting the 50mm f1.8 lens and just going with that? This would give me some money left over to buy myself a good fast 1gb SD (133x im assumming) and a bag.

Im thinking that If i had both the 18-55mm and the 50mm fixed that I would be useing the 50mm most of the time anyway and im not sure If i want any money invested into the 18-55mm., that away later when I grab another lens I can grab a better zoom lens like a 55-200m Nikkor or Sigma 18-200

lol I would be doing alot of foot zooming outside untill i get another lens... but overall I think it would be smarter..

Quorthon
01-26-2006, 04:10 PM
Hi George,

I also took a look at that one. IMHO, against it is that it's 40% heavier than the Tamron (710 vs. 510), and also considerably larger in dimensions (89X115 vs. 73X92) . The Tamron should be a very good competition in quality. I still want to get some Sigma EX lens one day, but I guess I'll just have to keep wanting for the time being... :(

Or

erichlund
01-26-2006, 04:17 PM
What are some of your thought on getting a Nikon D50 body only (around $550) and getting the 50mm f1.8 lens and just going with that? This would give me some money left over to buy myself a good fast 1gb SD (133x im assumming) and a bag.

Im thinking that If i had both the 18-55mm and the 50mm fixed that I would be useing the 50mm most of the time anyway and im not sure If i want any money invested into the 18-55mm., that away later when I grab another lens I can grab a better zoom lens like a 55-200m Nikkor or Sigma 18-200

lol I would be doing alot of foot zooming outside untill i get another lens... but overall I think it would be smarter..
Many...MANY...moons ago, I started with a Canon A1 and the 50mm f1.4. I made do with that for about two years before I started adding lenses.

OTOH, you may think that 18mm is not that big a diff from 50 compared to something like a 300mm lens, but at the low end, differences in mm make a huge difference in angle of view.

OTOOH, the 18-55 ain't the greatest lens Nikon has ever introduced, and you may want to save some spare change for one of the better options that start at 18, including:

Nikon 18-70, 18-200VR (I've used both of these and have the latter, the former was stolen, I like both).

Sigma 18-125, 18-200 (George has the 18-125 and often sings it's praises here. I'm not sure who's really used the 18-200, but it has a good rep).

Tamron 18-200 (There's a few who like this lens, but IIRC, a lot of people think the Sigma is better. Neither has the VR like the Nikon, but neither is nearly as expensive).

coldrain
01-26-2006, 05:20 PM
Indoor, low light, wide.... why not a Sigma 24mm f1.8 EX DG Aspherical Macro? It is not super sharp wide open, but stopped down a notch or two it is very nice. And you have f1.8 when you need it.... It is big and heavy, solidly built, and it does not cost an arm and a leg. 24mm x 1.5 crop makes a nice 36mm, pretty nice lens for indoors...

Or the amazing Sigma 30mm f1.4 EX DC HSM.... sharp, affordable, silent AF, f1.4.... well built and a resulting field of view of a 45mm lens. Much better indoors than a 50mm(75mm) lens.

Scott6
01-26-2006, 08:08 PM
$400 is affordable! I expect to pay big bucks for lens, depending on how hevey i get into this D50, but not 400$ right now...

All though I read a review on it, and some user experence lookd like a nice lens

laxer3n7
01-28-2006, 10:33 AM
If you search around you can find the D50 Body only for under $500 or with the kit 18-55 lens at under $600.

Thought that might help if your on a tight budget

toriaj
01-28-2006, 12:31 PM
Erichlund, I am considering the same thing as Scott6, the D50 body with the 50 mm f1.8 lens only. (to start with) So do you think that would be better than getting it with the kit lens only?

*update: I think I've decided just to start with the kit lens, and get more lenses later as I can afford them.

Scott6
01-29-2006, 05:28 PM
toriaj, what made you decide on the kit, over a body only and a 50mm F1.8 Nikkor lens?

I torn between the two..

Kit... $650 shipped or a D50 body and the 50mm F1.8 for around $600-$620 shipped..

Wish I could afford the kit and the 50mm but its just not gonna happen

erichlund
01-29-2006, 05:53 PM
Erichlund, I am considering the same thing as Scott6, the D50 body with the 50 mm f1.8 lens only. (to start with) So do you think that would be better than getting it with the kit lens only?

*update: I think I've decided just to start with the kit lens, and get more lenses later as I can afford them.
OK. I, myself, have never had the opportunity to shoot with that kit lens, so I can only say by reputation that it has limits. One we discussed here the other day was that while it is AF-S, so it has fast focus, it doesn't support the on demand manual focus that most, if not all, other AF-S lenses have. You have to switch the lens or camera to manual to focus the lens manually. But, you won't get that feature with the non-AF-S 50mm lens either. You will get a wide angle capability at the cost of low light performance. There will be times when you will have to use that on board flash, especially indoors. I use flash, so I don't mind it, but some people prefer to avoid use of flash. Also, there are venues that prohibit flash photography. Just some stuff to chew on.

toriaj
01-29-2006, 05:55 PM
I discussed the kit lens on this thread: http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16766
It seems to be fairly versatile, plus it is simpler to just buy the kit. Maybe not the best reason in the world, but it usually works better for me to go simpler :rolleyes: I hope you post what you decide, and then how you like it!

toriaj
01-30-2006, 12:06 AM
One other thing -- now I am a complete noob, so forgive me if I don't have this right: but my understanding is that the lenses that have a range (such as 18-55) are adjustable, you can zoom closer and further to a certain point. The lenses that have just one number (such as 50 mm) are not adjustable. To make the image bigger, you need to move closer. For a wider view, step back. I'm sure this has its advantages too (sharper images, learning) but I think the kit lens is for me :)

Quorthon
01-30-2006, 11:47 AM
toriaj, what made you decide on the kit, over a body only and a 50mm F1.8 Nikkor lens?

I torn between the two..

Scott,

From my short experience, and of course IMHO, this is a no-brainer. You should start with the 50mm f/1.8, and this is why:

First of all, your original post is subjected "looking for an indoor low light lens". The kit lens will not be a great performer in low light conditions. The 50mm f/1.8, on the other hand, is one of the best low light performers & at a ridiculous price.

Second, you'll have to look a bit forward. In a (shorter than you think... ;) ) while, you very well may want a wider range for those occassions where you dont need the low light performance, but do need a longer range than 18-55 and to avoid changing lenses at the field, you may consider something more versatile, say something going from around 18-24 all the way up to around 120-200, for the sake of having one easy-to-carry walk-around setup. If you just take a walk down the block on an average sunny day, one lens can give you very pleasing shots at ranges from 18mm to 200mm (Sigma has one, Tamron has one, and of course the new Nikkor 18-200 VR). Then, the kit lens will also be obsolete since the 18-55 range will be covered, and then some...

OK, the 18-55 will give you a wider range NOW. But if you look at your gear one year from now, then getting the 50mm f/1.8 and later complementing it would make you happier eventually, than let's say, having the 18-55 and a 55-200 (plus in which case, non of your lenses will have excellent low-light performance). With lenses - think long-run...

So I think you should get the 50mm f/1.8 now, save some money, and later on cough up for a wider-range lens for general walkaround purposes. That's what I did (although the other way around in order...) and I'm very happy with it today. Now I just need that Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 to give me more flexinility in house, and I'm all set. For the next year, that is... ;)

Just my 0.02$,
Or

Scott6
01-30-2006, 02:09 PM
hmmm was I wrong in thinking the 50mm Nikkor is in the $100-120 ballpark? I cant find them anywhere..

I see lots of 200+$ Nikkor 50mm F1.4 lens out there...

sherlock
01-30-2006, 02:19 PM
Hey,

Here's the link to the 50mm f/1.8D at B+H

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=cart&A=details&Q=&sku=247091&is=USA

Andrew

Scott6
01-30-2006, 02:31 PM
hmm I must have missed it, B&H is telling me $665 shipped for the D50 body and 50mm F1.8 Nikkor lens.

ill grab a 1gb 133x Corsaid SD stick of newegg.com as well
Here for 70 bux..
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820233022

Scott6
01-31-2006, 02:42 PM
im assumming the 50mm F1.8 Nikkor dosnt have any problems in full day light? as it lokos like its going to be my only lens for a few months...

D70FAN
01-31-2006, 02:54 PM
im assumming the 50mm F1.8 Nikkor dosnt have any problems in full day light? as it lokos like its going to be my only lens for a few months...

f/1.8 is the maximum aperture. You can stop the lens down to f/22 if you want. In full daylight I keep the aperture at f/8 most of the time, and only open it up for low light or background blur (bokeh).

Speaking of which, don't forget to set the aperture ring to f/22 (marked in red on the lens with a locking switch), or you will get an Err mesage. Newer AF cameras control aperture from the camera. You will find that many/most newer lenses don't even have an aperture ring.

Scott6
02-01-2006, 09:18 AM
hey, I found the Nikon D50 body only for under 500 at http://www.abesofmaine.com/viewproduct.asp?id=nkd50&l=Pricegrabber

looks to have a good reseller rateing..

Jason25
02-01-2006, 09:21 AM
hey, I found the Nikon D50 body only for under 500 at http://www.abesofmaine.com/viewproduct.asp?id=nkd50&l=Pricegrabber

looks to have a good reseller rateing..
They may call and try to push accessories on you. Beach Camera has it for $500 even on their site right now, great vendor.

Scott6
02-01-2006, 12:53 PM
damm compusa haveing the D50 kit for $599 is hard to pass up

vrs waiting 5 days shipping to get the D50+50mm F1.8

Scott6
02-01-2006, 11:36 PM
hey, what would be a good way to get an idea on what the 50mm lens is like. Like Focal lenth I mean? All I have acces to right now is a few 3x optical P&S cameras and a 10x fuji S5100.

I would lie to see just how wide it is. I cant find a camera shop that will shot me anything but the kits lens installed.

rawpaw18
02-02-2006, 03:03 AM
Scott,
If I understand your question right, you can go back to the camera store and set the kit lens to 50mm. Take a couple of shots and get an idea what you will see with just using the 50 prime.